Gonna have my parents order my first B/W darkroom supplies on Sunday!!! Need help!

So I am about to order, does this look right?

Hc-110
1408988 Kodak HC-110 Black & White Film Developer, Liquid to Make 2 Gallons of Dilution A.

Stop
1464247 Kodak Indicator Stop Bath For Black & White Films And Papers, 1-Pint Bottle To Make 8-Gallons.

Fixer
1464080 Kodak Kodafix Black & White Film and Paper Fixer with Hardener, Liquid, Makes 1 Gallon for Film, 2 Gallons for Paper.

Photo-flo
1464510 Kodak Photo-Flo 200 Photographic Wetting Agent, 16 Ounce Bottle.

Tank & Reel (This looks really good)
PTP115P Paterson Universal Tank w/ One Reel

So does that look ok to you guys? The other smaller items like bottles and measuring cups and such I have or can get locally. Sorry for all the questions, I just am a complete noob and hope that these chems will give me results with my Tri-X 400

there is no need to wash film for an hour anymore.

years ago when the base was much thicker it was common for long wash times.

It's up to you. But I absolutely would do it. I do. Saves on water and time.

Some small things you might not think of but will come in handy.

Clothespins, wooden, to hang neg strips.
Scissors.
Church key, for opening 35mm canisters.
Good sized funnel that can take sloppy pouring if you get in a hurry and catch the liquid.

I would get liquid chems. Powder can be tricky for a beginner.
I would one shot your chems. This means mix them up. Pour into the tank and then emtpy down the drain. Tree huggers will cringe at this but you can pour your chemistry down the drain, as long as it's not into a septic system. Them chems you will use at that dilution are not as strong as chlorine bleach use to clean the very fixtures you will use.
And go stainless steel tanks and reels, all the way. I would recommend shopping at www.frestylephoto.biz.

Some of this has probably already been pointed out. But I hope this helps and you have fun.

So I am about to order, does this look right?

Hc-110
1408988 Kodak HC-110 Black & White Film Developer, Liquid to Make 2 Gallons of Dilution A.

Stop
1464247 Kodak Indicator Stop Bath For Black & White Films And Papers, 1-Pint Bottle To Make 8-Gallons.

Fixer
1464080 Kodak Kodafix Black & White Film and Paper Fixer with Hardener, Liquid, Makes 1 Gallon for Film, 2 Gallons for Paper.

Photo-flo
1464510 Kodak Photo-Flo 200 Photographic Wetting Agent, 16 Ounce Bottle.

Tank & Reel (This looks really good)
PTP115P Paterson Universal Tank w/ One Reel

So does that look ok to you guys? The other smaller items like bottles and measuring cups and such I have or can get locally. Sorry for all the questions, I just am a complete noob and hope that these chems will give me results with my Tri-X 400

That's a good list, but I'd buy a two reel tank, and don't forget a changing bag unless you a 100% dark room to load your film.

You may also want to order some archival negative holders--it's hard to find those locally these days in the era of digital.

So I have all the info on developing time with my hc-110, and I have everything mixed and ready and roll on the spool, but I cant find the charts that tell me how long to use the kodak stop bath and the Kodafix, any idea where to get them?

So I have all the info on developing time with my hc-110, and I have everything mixed and ready and roll on the spool, but I cant find the charts that tell me how long to use the kodak stop bath and the Kodafix, any idea where to get them?

I use this so here ya go. Stop for thirty seconds agitating once initially. Drain. Fill with fix. I agitate same as developing as there are no real instructions I have ever seen. You do not want to underagitate the fixer so this is safe. You fix for twice the film's clearing time. That means you fix for twice the amount of time it takes for the film to have the pale pinkish hue wash away. TMax (TMY-2) takes two minutes and thirty seconds. You can take open the tank after three minutes of fixing and make sure the film has cleared. Then make your total fix time six minutes. I fix my TMY-2 for 5.5. If you have undeveloped portions of film when you remove the film from the spool at the end, refix until cleared and then rinse really well. Don't try to reload it. Just pour some fixer into a bowl or, better yet, your large measuring cup (I use a glass kitchen measuring cup) and, while holding each end of the roll in each hand, work the film through the fixer until it clears and then rinse for about five minutes in running tap.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back