gonna shoot at an abonded building

molsen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm going to an abandoned building downtown with a couple other people to shoot some photos. Any tips? I've never done this before but I'm assuming there won't be anything crazy (photography-wise) I'm not prepared for. I fully expect insane homeless people and masked murderers, however.

There may be some homeless people because that's where some of them seek shelter. But I'm sure you'll be fine.

Expect most abandoned buildings to be a homeless shelter. Also, there is a good chance you'll see some meth, crack, pcp, angel dust, pot, ecstasy, and a number of other drugs. I would never go alone, thank God you're brining people with you. You never know what can happen in that sort of environment (drugs, alcohol, depression, mental illness, all these mixed together are very dangerous).

A tripod is almost mandatory. Very good chance there is no light so bring your flashes & strobes!

......And, watch out for pigeon $hit and floors too weak to hold a person. I was grabbed by the arm by another person before I about stepped on a rotten wood floor you could see through. I would have fallen 20+ feet to the concrete floor below :confused:.

I've been through about 40 abandoned buildings so far and not once have I come across a homeless person or any drugs and this includes an old train tunnel running under the city of which I've heard homeless use to get around. I have been scared out of my mind by some strange stuff and wishing I brought a weapon, but I'm still here & unharmed :thumbup: so just be careful & use common sense.

You should try this place.. All about Urban Exploration.. www.28dayslater.co.uk
General rule of thumb, never use the flash unless really nessicary, photos looks better without using longer shutters and natural light.... yes common sense i know.

A tripod it a basic essential, you need one! A decent torch would be nice, even the really bright cycling lights work well.

Depending on what building your going to, id deffinatly have some lens protectors, lots of dust and crap in there places. Also might be worth thinking about some of those fabric face masks, asbestos is not your best friend.

And personally in buildings etc, wider the better for lens choice, normally my 10-20mm is the only one i use.

thanks for the tips, folks.

from what i've heard, the place i'm going is decently lit because it's one story and there are just holes where skylights used to be. hopefully if it's really dusty inside there will be some neat sunbeams coming in. i'll def. take my tripod and all of my equipment with me just in case. i might consider a mask too.

Tyndel effect... if you get sun coming through the skylights and want to amplify it... raise a little dust in the area where the sun is steaming in... really cool effect. ;)

Second thing I could think of many touched on... play safe, don't step on anythng that cannot support your weight. If its a larger place, keep within eye-sight of a buddy... just in case.

Dude that sounds so awesome I could already imagine some sweet shots. What are the legal issues with this? This got me thinking about going to places in my area but I do not want to be picked up for trespassing. lol!

Dude that sounds so awesome I could already imagine some sweet shots. What are the legal issues with this? This got me thinking about going to places in my area but I do not want to be picked up for trespassing. lol!
well the legality is the gray area. there aren't any obvious "no trespassing" signs. but i'm sure it's someone's property. i guess it just comes down to if this someone knows we're there and if he/she really wants us gone. i honestly think we'll be okay. it's such a cruddy, dilapidated place....if anything at all happens, it would probably be some cops or land owner telling is it's not safe and that we shouldn't be there

but that gray area of the legality of it is partly what makes it so much fun! i'm going somewhere other people don't or maybe can't to get some unique photos.

true! How to convince my parents to take me to an abandoned building to shoot pics, that is a different story. lol. Even before I got my cam. I have always been thinking about cool shots, there are a few of this one building I could get without scaling a fence lol.

but that gray area of the legality of it is partly what makes it so much fun! i'm going somewhere other people don't or maybe can't to get some unique photos.

Once I was able to get into an old abandoned mental institution. The whole place was a mission-style california mental asylum that started back in the 30's or so. Sadly, all I took with me were a couple of disposable cameras. It was one of the creepiest experiences of my life. By far.

I would go back but the building is being torn down for a school.

well the legality is the gray area. there aren't any obvious "no trespassing" signs. but i'm sure it's someone's property. i guess it just comes down to if this someone knows we're there and if he/she really wants us gone. i honestly think we'll be okay. it's such a cruddy, dilapidated place....if anything at all happens, it would probably be some cops or land owner telling is it's not safe and that we shouldn't be there

If you check my flickr links out i have been in quite a few cool place, and by doing so was "trespassing".

http://www.flickr.com/photos/goldeeno/collections/72157602155836405/

Ive been into a shutdown Car Factory and Production Line... actually been in there about 30 times cause i live next door.

My most recent event was going into a Ford Cars, Foundry that had closed down. After having 2 successful trips round, i had a friend who wanted to go, so off we went 9pm on a sunday night. There was security on site there always was, and not a small fence to jump to get in. We must have been in there 10mins and we spotted a patrol... after he moved off we thought, he couldnt possibly be looking for us. But we made our way onto the gangway, and we could see about 5 or 6 gaurds dotted about, speaking quitely into radios.

Erm.. BUGGER!
We were then approached by a security gaurd that lead us down to an awaiting squad car... they took our names and details and let us off with a caution.

My advice, dont get caught.... if you do, dont be a knob respect your in the wrong and whatever you do, do not steal anything from these places or cause any vandalism what so ever.

When the policeman asked what was in my camera bag, i gladly showed him, I had alot of camera gear, some dust face masks, a old pair of safety specs, 3 tourches, one is actually force issue.. so he liked that :D, so as soon as he saw that he pretty much knew i wasnt as stupid as i first seemed. But if there had been a couple of screwdrivers or a crowbar.. or some stuff from the place your in a night in a cell would have been on the cards.

Houses and things are a little different, your more inclined to bumb into other explorers or bums :D. Scaryist moment of my life was at the old RAF site, again on my flickr... opened a door into a pitch black room, flicked the torch on high and a **** load of pigeons went spark crazy... lol, i crapped myself.

I'm the guy with the b&w checkered blanket. Don't wake me up ok?:lol:

Seriously, just be careful, and don't do it alone. Good luck.

/\ nice, yea seriously doing it alone would NOT be a good idea. lol. I think you would be able to get some really cool BW shots of deterioration of the building itself. (thats all Im gonna say, I have some ideas for shots that I am going to do soon, and want them to be unique. lol.)

Most reactions

Back