Good all-around lens for use with Nikon D5300

geokra111

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Greetings,

My wife and I have just ordered a Nikon D5300 (body only) for our first DSLR. We are trying to figure out the best lens for our purposes.

Our main interests and reasons we bought a DSLR:

- better for low-light situations and improved picture quality for pictures of people (birthday parties, etc.)
- better continuous (burst) shooting
- faster start-up and 'warm-up'
- faster auto-focus and shutter (not sure if this is how to say this, but our old point and shoot would seemingly take a couple seconds before actually taking the picture)
- better overall photo quality

So our interests are not very advanced, we are mostly just looking for an improved experience, yet one that will still be fairly straightforward and hassle free for relative newbies. We aren't trying to take professional photos, just want great photos with relative ease.

We have recently had some experience with a friend's camera, and we found it quite pleasant. She was using an 18-200mm lens and we thought that was a nice solution that would probably fit our needs quite well. We understand that there may be some trade offs with a lens such as this (vs., say, an 18-55mm and a 55-200mm combo), but are likely willing to accept those compromises. We both prefer simplicity and for the time being would prefer to have just one lens. Perhaps as we get further into photography and develop our skills, we would purchase additional lenses, but for now one is enough.

We have quite a lot of flexibility in our budget when it comes to the lens. We know there are options around $300 (and perhaps cheaper), but assume there are options that would run to many thousands of dollars. We would potentially be willing to pay $800-$1000 for the lens, but if they offer only minimal improvements over a lens for $300, we would probably opt for the cheaper.

What are our best options? Additionally, are there any must have features (stability or anti-vibration features, etc.)?

Cheers,

Geoff

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I've got an 18-200mm and it's makes for a nice travel lens, one lens fits all that you can just chuck in your suitcase or great for chasing the kids or family pet around the house.

Now I notice the word "Fast" in most of the reasons' you choosing your camera as well as low light performance. It's with this in mind that I would highly suggest looking into a Nikon 17-55mm 2.8. The lower F-stop numbers (= larger Apertures) like 2.8, 1.8, 1.4 etc are known as "Fast" glass and perfect for low light conditions. This is one of the best DX lenses you can buy and is super sharp as well as great for low light conditions. You can pick one up new for around $1,000-1,200 or used around $700.

Nikon 35 1.8 or 50mm 1.8 are both great lenses to get as a first lens. Of you want to shoot more indoors the 35mm would be easier as you are further back from your subject than the 50mm. These produce awesome images and a nice and sharp.

Another option ion would be Nikon 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G AF-S DX ED VR Nikkor Wide-Angle Telephoto Zoom Lens. This would be a great price of glass to have as a single lens.

Note: with single focal length lens (primes) you will get better separation from the subject and back ground and also better bokeh

i would say say with one prime for portraits and the other variable zoom like the 16-85 you should be good all under $1000 on amazon.

Get the 50mm 1.8G...($220) You will love it..

+1 for the 16-85.

It's a good little lens with no significant optical faults and decently sharp.

As you have said the 18-200 will have compromises over two seperate lenses. The tamron 18-270mm vc gets good reviews for this type of lens. If I were you though I would also buy a 50mm fast lens also, these 2 probably fit your budget, just to have a good low light option also

Thanks for all the tips!

I appreciate all of your thoughts. We feel that it's rather important to be able to zoom, which is a main reason that we really liked our friend's 18-200mm lens. As tailgunner points out, the 18-200 looks great for travel (which is when we actually take the majority of our photos). It seems that were regularly using zoom when we take most pictures, especially in situations where you don't have the ability to stand at the right distance to make it work with a fixed lens (not sure if that's the correct terminology).

Is there something I'm missing here? Will the D5300 have so many MP that we wouldn't need to worry about zooming? That doesn't seem likely to me, but I am a novice.

tailgunner, I appreciate your comments about the f-stops. I think you probably have a valid point about the lower f-stops. If we were to go for a lower f-stop, could we still get a lens with a wide zoom range (such as 18-200mm)? I appreciate your comment about the low-light situations, but I probably shouldn't have necessarily included that in the list; I'd say that comes a distant 4th or 5th behind improved image quality and general speed improvements.

Zoom with your feet....

Actually I do not care for Ken...My feet Zoom..lol

Will the D5300 have so many MP that we wouldn't need to worry about zooming?

Short answer is yes. You might be surprised at how well your wider shots will enlarge even after some heavy cropping.

So my recommendation is always shoot wider than you want and then crop in post for a much better composition. It gives you plenty of room to straighten those slanting shots and crop out extraneous objects in the background.

Most reactions

Back