Good all around telephoto lens

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking at getting a lens that if I want to just carry one, I can do so.

Something like a 18-300 or 28-300... somewhere along those lines. I know Sigma, and tamron make them but I am looking to get feed back on who has what and how they like them. Chime in if you have a good suggestion.

Thanks!

I don't have any experience with them, and your signature doesn't help me understand your taste. :)

If you're going for a super extreme zoom like the ones you mentioned, you'll definitely lose some quality. However, if you want one with such a good range, I would totally go for an 18-200 over a 28-300. A lens that only goes as wide as 28 would certainly never be an all-around lens for any crop body.

To answer your question a little bit better, take a look at the Sigma 18-200 w/ OS. It's a higher priced one, but has good reviews and the OS would be nice.

If you go to the trouble – and expense – of buying an SLR camera, which' defining factor is the exchangeability of its lenses, then it is stupid to want to do with only one lens. Sorry, but I don't mince words. It would be the same as getting a Mercedes 500 SLC and running it on LNG!

There all junk don't waste your money. I guess if you are not concerned about image quality go ahead and buy whatever lens you want but it will suffer with a lens like this.

I don't have any experience with them, and your signature doesn't help me understand your taste. :)

If you're going for a super extreme zoom like the ones you mentioned, you'll definitely lose some quality. However, if you want one with such a good range, I would totally go for an 18-200 over a 28-300. A lens that only goes as wide as 28 would certainly never be an all-around lens for any crop body.

To answer your question a little bit better, take a look at the Sigma 18-200 w/ OS. It's a higher priced one, but has good reviews and the OS would be nice.

The 18-200 is an excellent "walk around" lens. Naturally, you lose quality with any zoom but you can't expect to get the added versatility without giving up something.

If you go to the trouble – and expense – of buying an SLR camera, which' defining factor is the exchangeability of its lenses, then it is stupid to want to do with only one lens. Sorry, but I don't mince words. It would be the same as getting a Mercedes 500 SLC and running it on LNG!

Read the post of the OP..... he wants the OPTION of using a walk around lens at his leisure...

There is nothing wrong with this..... I wouldn't always want a tote his 12 pound sack of primes around just because of some paltry excuse that he has to because he OWNS a DSLR...

A tool for every job..... and 18-200 is an excellent tool for a hobbyist that wants to get the shots without carrying a trailer full of primes.... and GETTING the shots should emphasized... Hardly ever a missed opportunity walking through town streets with this lens..... head shots, wide shots, half body shots..... the ability for candids from farther away.... if I tried this with my primes I would be missing shots or losing IQ because I'm cropping anyways...

my 18-200 has afforded me tons of shots I wouldn't have gotten otherwise... I use my primes when I'm serious about a specific shot... but the 18-200 is the standby lens thats always on my camera to start... makes perfect sense for a hobbyist...

I do not have a Nikon, but I do know a lot of people had the 18-200mm Nikkor. And I do see good result from it as well.

If I walk around in the city and just want to use one lens, I will get the 18-200mm. And yes, the optical quality is not top of the line, but from looking at the pictures that took with the lens by others, I do not see why not.

my 18-200 has afforded me tons of shots I wouldn't have gotten otherwise... I use my primes when I'm serious about a specific shot... but the 18-200 is the standby lens thats always on my camera to start... makes perfect sense for a hobbyist...

Exactly. I probably take fewer shots with my 18-200 than most of my other lenses but, whenever the camera is just laying around, the 18-200 is mounted.

i'm no nikon user but I've heard from a few members that the 55-200 VR is a great lense. I dont know how much it is of course.

Yes, as for the sig it simple to explaine. Experimenting. There are even 2 not listed I just got. LOL.... How would you like Ice cream it there was only vanilla? Gotta sample a lot of flavors until you find what you like.

Quality in a telephoto I know suffers.... I dont care all that much. I am looking more a being a versitile walk around that I dont have to carry a lot with me for just random shots. Hence I want a range from 24-28 to 200-300mm.

Something I can take for leasure instead of specific reason.

Thanks for the replys and keep them coming if you have good advice.

No prob... I love the little 55-200 VR but want the just a good all around carry lens. A "lighten my load" lens for day walk just playing.

For a walk around lens I recommend a sigma 24-60 f:2.8, it's very cheap for such quality glass. If you want more zoom you can pair it with a 70-200 f:2.8 in the future.

I've tried a number of the mega-zooms and they haven't impressed me, they're slow and soft. I do own a tamron 28-300 which would seem like a good choice for those that only want to carry around one lens, but I hardly ever use it... I'd rather have a more limited range then lackluster photos.

I think I'm pretty typical, most start with a mega-zoom hoping for a one-stop shop, but end up with two or three zooms and the mega-zoom never sees the light of day again.

Most reactions

Back