Good amateur entry level DSLR?

Skyclad

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am just curious as to what would be a good amateur entry level DSLR camera for a person on a really tight/limited budget?

Define really tight budget..... that can vary drastically from person to person.

:lol: Look at the time on all 3 replies.

What's limited?

$300? $500?

You can find used Canon 30D's for under $400 and a 50mm f/1.8 for $100ish.

Say about $300. $500 would be way above budget unfortunately.

What's limited?

$300? $500?

You can find used Canon 30D's for under $400 and a 50mm f/1.8 for $100ish.

Say about $300. $500 would be way above budget unfortunately.

Unfortunately, the newest used DSLR you'll find for that price may be a Nikon D40, and that's most likely going to be just the body and not the lens.

Unfortunately, the newest used DSLR you'll find for that price may be a Nikon D40, and that's most likely going to be just the body and not the lens.

I was afraid of that. Looks like until I can afford the $500 plus for a DSLR, I should stick with the high end P&S cameras such as the SX120IS (in my budget), and the SX20IS (which would really be stretching my budget currently).

Thank you all :)

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I was afraid of that. Looks like until I can afford the $500 plus for a DSLR, I should stick with the high end P&S cameras such as the SX120IS (in my budget), and the SX20IS (which would really be stretching my budget currently).

I have this p&s, and I am happy with it. Until your budget grows, I think you will be pleasantly surprised what you will be able to do with this camera.

Once you buy it, post for us...

Maybe look around for a used one. I purchased a used Nikon D50 with kit lens for a friend of mine a year ago for $250.

I search "nikon d50 site:*.craigslist.org" this in google and it seems like it range from $250 to $4xx in the used market still.

I have this p&s, and I am happy with it. Until your budget grows, I think you will be pleasantly surprised what you will be able to do with this camera.

Once you buy it, post for us...
Trust me, I most certainly will :) I just hope people wont be too harsh when I do though. Last time I had a camera, I was about 12 years old and it was a cheap Vivatar that took 110 film. So when it comes time to post pictures, im sure the majority of them will very simple, plain and basic looking with beyond tons of improvement and experience needed, lol. But I have to start somewhere.

Maybe look around for a used one. I purchased a used Nikon D50 with kit lens for a friend of mine a year ago for $250.

I search "nikon d50 site:*.craigslist.org" this in google and it seems like it range from $250 to $4xx in the used market still.
That is definitely something to consider. My only fear about the possibility of getting a DSLR is that I would be getting way in over my head. As you can see in my response to the above quote, the last time I had a camera, I was 12 years old. Between then and now, its just been taking a snapshot picture only a couple times a year at best. So I really have 0 experience in this field.

By reading though this site and looking at the pictures in it is how im currently learning things. On the plus side, its opening my eyes up to be aware of composition and learning a few do's and dont's. But other than that, I think the bigger part of my learning will have to be hands on, no question.

So, I might be better off getting the SX120IS first to see how well I do, and if I stick with it and see how much into it I get. Right now, its just a photography bug thats bit me. Now if that bite starts to fade after a while, thats yet to be seen.

Not one person on this site or anywhere I am aware of started off being an expert in photography.

The camera you may purchase has some features that are beyond auto on the camera, which should make for fun experimentation on your part.
Take full advantage of the camera, your time, ambition and the world in front of you.

DON'T WORRY TOO MUCH ABOUT WHAT WE HERE HAVE TO SAY...Go have some fun!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back