Good apartment pets?

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a new pet buddy. Being in anapartmentandtraveling as often as I can I am looking for a pet that cantravel withme. I do not want a dog and I am not a cat person.Lookingfor an animalthat interacts with people and is playfull.

I was thinking along the lines of a ferret, does anyone haveexperincewith them? I am open to other animals also as long as they fittheabove critera.

Also, anybody have any Idea why my words are sticking together ? :irked: I am using Mozilla browser.

Oriocat I am using the enhanced interface, does that make a difference?

Artemis, I got tired of all the viruses and spyware from explorer, plusall that tweaking to get explorer to work properly. I update and scan on a weekly basis for virus, spyware and trojans. Over the last six months I have only had 1 tracking cookie todispose of. Your brother sounds pretty wise to me;) My only beef is with the scrolling in Mozilla, other wise it's great.

:D I just noticed the advertizments at the top of the page are all about Pets.

I'd take a bunny, if my dog didn't have hunting blood in her. I've always liked those bunnies who has ears down. They are more calm than the ones who has ears up I think. :)

And I like mozilla too, expect that I get connection failure errors and net reset errors quite much. And there is nothing wrong with my connection or the sites I go, it's just a bug in firefox. :(

I don't know anything about ferrets. Can you really expect to bond with one, like you can a dog and cat? I'd make sure to do a lot of research first! I think it's great you want to take care of something, though. All I can think of that stays confined are birds and fish! ;)

Get a couple of rats! Inexpensive, loving, kind and gentle, they love to be around people, are inexpensive to feed and fully trainable! Love traveling in a pocket and and just all round great pets! I had hamsters for my duaghters and they were the most miserable peices of (fill in the blank) I just hated them, and they hated me! Then we got the rats and they are the greatest! I just love them, I put the girls to bed at night and get the rats out so they can sit on my shoulders while I'm on the computer! They haven't bitten anyone and won't even pull a cracker out of my hand, they wait till I let go!
Very cuddly and enjoy swimming in the bathtub! Don't mind being left alone for a few days if you can set them up with enough food and water and can get enough exersise in a large cage, unlike a ferret that must be allowed out to run around!

ratty-3.gif

My vote rats. Though make sure they are the same sex or you'll have lots of rats!

Thanks all,

Nikkie the problem I have with bunny rabbits is they poop constantlyand I don't think they travel well, but thanks for suggesting it.

Terry I did a little research, but I find peoples own experiences to bemore valuable than the writin word. I like birds but again it would behard to take them on a long roadtrip espeacilly in the winter.
I would love to have a pet dog but I wouldn't feel right having one in an apartment. Cats are just to dull for my taste.

Lizheaemma, I was also thinking about a pet rat Being a singlemale I have lady friends over and I wonder if a rat wouldgross them out? Personally I think rats are just sooo cute and itsounds like yourself being female you think they are just great . Iwonder how other women would feel about a pet rat?

If you want to go the dog route, you could get a small one...do some research on temperments and that sort of thing...some dogs would be perfect for travel and apartment living.

Some people have a hard time with the idea of rats, but once you get over the tail they are really endearing! Do you really want a woman that can't like a rat anyway! Might be a good way of weeding out the lame chicks:lol: !

How about a pet rock? They are low maintence, no walking, require little attention, don't make a sound, don't poop, they live forever or for as long as you live...hell you dont even have to water or feed the thing. They just occupy space. Here's a link for more info...

http://individual.utoronto.ca/elaine/petrock.htm
and another http://www.grandpapencil.com/pets/petrock.htm

Hell mines been alive for nearly 3 decades and is still as awesome as the day I brought him home. :wink: :mrgreen:

lizheaemma said:
Some people have a hard time with the idea ofrats,butonce you get over the tail they are really endearing! Do youreallywanta woman that can't like a rat anyway! Might be a good wayofweeding outthe lame chicks:lol: !

wouldn't happen to be single by any chance
sexywink.gif

Like your pet picture, by the way.

I am with core 17 if you would go the dog route you might want to consider a small dog like a chihuahua. I have two and they travel well and are very good for apartment living.

I say check out rats too! Both my wife and i have owned one, and though the lifespan was only about five years, they were fun, affectionate, intelligent, and toilet trainable! Only words of warning though, Do not leave them free to roam the house if you are out! They like chewing, and stereo cords and power leads are a favourite. Also, if you get a male be aware that....they have huge balls!!!! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back