Good beginner camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by PhotographyIsConfusing, May 10, 2008.

1. PhotographyIsConfusing

PhotographyIsConfusing TPF Noob!

2. Rachelsne

Rachelsne TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    no idea about fim but check out the canon site and see if it helps.

3. Smith2688

Smith2688 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
  4. MRivera

MRivera TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I think the canon rebel are good cameras for beginners.On this particular model you are asking, I think I has all the basic settings to shoot manual and in program. Search on line about that particular model. I will suggest to consider the benefit of digital and film. Unless you are certain that you want to shoot with film camera. IMHO, I rather digital because I feel I have more control of my images. I can check them on the LCD screen and reshoot if I am not satisfy with the picture. I know Digital are more expenses but in a way I am saving on films and development. An as a beginner in a way it has saved me few bucks.
    Good Luck!

5. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    AE-1's are dirt cheap, I think you got some crossed information somewhere.

By EF I assume you are refering to the EF series lens, but if not the EF camera body is a good body to have, it is similar in many ways to the AE-1 and is easy to use.

I have both of them and I would say, Both Bodies are good for beginners, but the EF is a little hard to find and costs a bit more than the AE-1, but it's worth it in my oppinion.

Neither of those cameras uses the EF series lens though, they use FD and FL mount lenses but thay are not hard to come by or expencive.

as far as that EOS you linked to goes, I don't know, other than you would be looking at expencive glass I am clueless on the body itself.

6. evo5gsr

evo5gsr TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually, I would go with the EOS. That way, you can use whatever lenses you buy for that camera when you decide to switch to digital.

7. STINKY PICTURES

STINKY PICTURES TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Just a question here, are you sure you want to go with a film camera and not a digital camera? Film development can get pretty expensive over time. Especially if your using the camera to learn on. But with digital you can shoot to your hearts content and have it cost you nothing and only print your best shots. Either way have fun, its your choice I just wanted to make a suggestion.

8. PhotographyIsConfusing

I think I asked this question before because I am having DajaVu (sp?).

So will a lense on say AE-1 be able to fit on a Canon XT?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Canon-A...yZ107919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-AE-1-35mm...ryZ67380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-AE-1-Acce...yZ107919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-AE-1-Prog...yZ107919QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
    Deal? or scam

Oh I want to go film. I think it will be good for me as a beginner to really think about my shots before I take them. I'll go bot 35mm and digital later when I have more money and experience.

9. Battou

Battou No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    No, not without an adapter of some form or another, Truthfully they are made, but I know not of their quality or availability. They originally only marketed to professionals with extencive surplusses of FD lenses who where transitioning to EF bodies, you would have to do some research into FD/EF adapters to find out what is available currently.

I've seen them cheaper, but I have seen them go higher too, so that is not a bad price for it with the lens.

10. Dweller

Dweller Inconspicuous Supporter

Photos OK to edit
    This is exactly what I did and still think it was the right way to go. When shooting film it gave me time to learn the fundamentals of photography. I would study each shot before and after clicking the shutter and pull as much information from them as I could. I would study the mistakes and think about what I could do better and I would study the good shots to see what I got right. After about a year I wanted to work more on composition and experimental techniques so I knew it was time to switch to digital. Once I started shooting digital I could take the same shot 20 different ways without worrying about it.

I started with an AE-1 Program but used it in manual mode all the time. When it came time to move to digital I stepped back and took a fresh look at everything that was out there and decided the Nikon D70s was the way to go for me. All of the glass I had for the canon was picked up relatively cheaply second-hand so I was not concerned with being able to use it on my Digital body.

11. PhotographyIsConfusing

Can someone help me find where I can buy an AE-1 with extras! I keep getting snaked on e-bay!