Good beginners camera?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by TNT, Dec 8, 2009.

1. TNT

TNT TPF Noob!

Well basically im looking for a good Beginners Camera because id like to get into photography away from using point and shoot camera's. im most likely gonna get pretty serious about my photo's too.

well im looking for something pretty good yet under or around $500

what id be taking pictures of is kinda what youd find in a national geographic magazine.. which also means it varies...but mostly people and places and Nature

hopefully something thats a DSLR... i was wondering if the nikon D40 would do the trick for me? since its cheap and seems to have good reviews but the reviews also state it as a good "family camera" or "moms" camera.

any one got any ideas on what could fit my needs?

2. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Since you mentioned the D40, here's what Nikon has available.

The D40 is what most people who went with Nikon probably started off with, it was a HUGE seller... perhaps the hottest selling DSLR of all time. The replacement is the D60... however both of these are no longer produced. The D3000 is the newest entry level camera in your price range, and typically comes with the 18-55 kit lens - which will get you started.

If you shoot a lot after the sun goes down or indoors with poor lighting, you may want to save a little more for the D5000. It features the CMOS sensor for much better high ISO performance. Other benefits include Live View and video ability.

3. TNT

TNT TPF Noob!

oh! interesting i'll look into that nikon D3000 ...but need to do some research on it first!

4. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  5. PatrickCheung

PatrickCheung TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have a d60, it's been meeting my needs in a camera so far... of course there are limitations as it is a beginners camera, but nothing i cant live around (after all, i am a beginner). i've heard good things about the d3000, which is sort of like the replacement for the d60 (which was sort of the replacement for the d40... haha). you might wanna look into that.

the kit lens (the 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 mentioned above) served me quite well, however i found myself needing a faster lens and picked up a sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 about 3-4months later, if they offer the d3000 body only, then i suggest you get that and the sigma 17-70mm, or nikon's 18-70mm f3.5-4.5 as your first lens, if you can afford it. great range, pretty good image quality (at least for a beginner), relatively cheap.

though you should note that i switched the sigma 17-70mm for a tamron 28-75mm f2.8 for it's constant aperture and slightly sharper images. loving that lens.

6. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Could you provide a link to documentation the D40 and D60 are no longer being produced?

7. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  8. DScience

DScience No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Yea, it's still on their lineup via nikon.com

9. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Look on B&H and try to buy a D40 or D60 new and see what it says. There are also NONE available around here... only the D3000 and D5000 for Nikon DSLR's under $800.

10. KmH

KmH Helping photographers learn to fish Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
  11. PhotoXopher

PhotoXopher TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    You pick odd things to argue about... I stated my experience, I like how you left out the B&H Photo reference I showed you. Nikon Rumors wasn't my source, I just googled it quick and it backed up what I saw at B&H. Neither B&H or my local stores can get either one. They may not be 'officially' discontinued YET, but they sure have slowed production - but that's another thread. I stand corrected, I guess... :)

Why anyone would get a D40 over a D3000 right now is beyond me though, unless you get a very good deal on the D40 or need 1/500th flash sync.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  12. Atlas77

Atlas77 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nikon

-D40
    -D60
    -D3000

Canon

-Rebel XTi
    -Rebel Xsi