Good Book for learning photography

duke_seb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just bought a sony alpha and would like to learn how to use it properly can anyone recommend a good book... i really need to learn to make pictures without blurs and need help with night shots

i read a book called 40 digital SLR techniques it was pretty good...and there is way more than 40 techniques

also got to the library and get books there it saves money

Bryan Peterson's "Understanding Exposure" is a hell of read if you want to get the basics of exposure. Very easy to understand.

You'll get some great advise on-line too.

I enjoyed reading [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Digital-Photography-Second/dp/1598630172/sr=1-1/qid=1171862045/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9404031-4042339?ie=UTF8&s=books"]Mastering Digital Photography, Second Ed.[/ame] by David Busch. It's helped me transition from film to digital pretty easily (so far).

You could learn alot from doing g00gle searches. If you want to learn night photography, you may think you don't know what to look for, but try searching for things like photography tutorial night or +night +photography or "night photography". Books are good, but usually limited to one or two people's perspective. The internet has a good fraction of the accumulated knowledge of all mankind. Usually, the top search results in g00gle for information are the top results because they are good resources and have been heavily linked by others (sure, alot of adverters abuse g00gle to get high rankings, but the good pages still float near the top).

If you read a tutorial and you don't understand a concept, then g00gle that. To borrow from Nike... Just g00gle it!

http://www.morguefile.com

Scroll down to Content>Classroom.
There are 8 lessons. It's a free "drop in anytime" online photography course that gets into all the basics.

To eliminate blur and get steady night shots try using a tripod, or set your camera on a steady surface and take the shot using the camera's built in timer.

And to make the most out of any camera, never underestimate simply reading the manual. I wonder how many people do this. I did on my last two cameras, but still haven't gotten around to more than flipping through the one for my newest camera.

You know, everyone has their favorites.

If I were you, I'd take a Sunday, go to Borders or Barnes & Noble, and spend about 6 hours browsing. You will have a pretty good idea of what you want after that.

The only thing disappointing to me lately is that all the books are geared towards digital these days.

If you have a Halfprice Books or some other new and used kind of bookstore in your area, search there. I've picked up several great reads dirt cheap.

Based on someone's recommendation, i borrowed from the library Bryan Peterson's "Learning To See Creatively", and I found the book to be absolutley superb! Teaches how to SEE, from multiple points of view, the lines, shapes, forms, colors, patterns, light/shadows and everthing else that is there to be seen, if only, if only, if only, one is willing to invest the psychic energy required to develop an awareness of such subtle visionary distinctions. Very inspiring how-to. Highly Recommended! :thumbup:

Note, the revised edition (2003) is the same, but referencing the digital revolution.

I will not give any specific reccommendation ... however I want to support what was said before, that even though you shoot digital, the really imporant things will also be in the books about pure film photography. The few extra bits of knowledge which are required for digital are miniscule compared to the basic photography knowledge and can be learned from your camera's manual.

To me, when I shoot slide film and digital, the only real difference I notice is, that changeing ISO is more easy with digital and that I can see the results instantly.

I have John Hedgecoe's "the new manual of PHOTOGRAPHY" book and i've been reading it alot lately and learning lots of good stuff, I highly recommend this book. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/New-Manual-Photography-John-Hedgecoe/dp/0789496372/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_a/103-8791177-7679002?%5Fencoding=UTF8&qid=1173256617&sr=1-2[/ame]

Most reactions

Back