Good book on posing

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by Johnboy2978, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hello all, I'm looking for a recommendation for a good book on posing individuals, couples and groups for portraits. Anyone have something to throw out there. Specifically, I'd like a book that discusses those psychological tips such as a female should tilt her head this way, not that way b/c it's a masculine tilt, etc. As well as just good advice about eye direction, what to do w/ hands etc.

Thanks for any/all help.

2. Peanuts

Peanuts TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Crumb, I just read a book, I think it was by amphoto. I am going to go see their website and pick it out.

Edit:
    Okay, found a few I have read

Amherst Media The Portrait Photographer's Guide To Posing by Bill Hurter

Georgetown Books Basic Studio Lighting by Tony L. Corbell

3. jeroen

jeroen No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
  4. Johnboy2978

Johnboy2978 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I went ahead and ordered that book by Hurter Peanuts. I think that was one I was looking at before and never got around to ordering it.

Jeroen I looked at that link and I have seen it before. After reading about 6 chapters from it, I'm not sure I see what is being said. I disagree with a lot of what is said there, particularly when he notes how "comfortable and relaxed" the subject are. The poses look very awkward to me especially when he is doing full length one, the feet look really screwey to me. So far my approach has been more trial and error w/ minimal coaching and just snapping as much as I can to make sure I get a shot when they happen into a good pose.

What are some "rules" you all have found to be useful? So far, the only ones I can think of are:
    (1) the eyes should follow the nose, and it looks ridiculous when they are looking in a completely different direction from their nose.
    (2) never shoot a female square to the camera, instead have her at about a 30° angle to the camera.
    (3) Head tilt - men toward low shoulder to promote masculinity, women toward high shoulder to promote vulnerability and mystery.
    (4) sit or stand erect
    anyone care to add others here?