Good budget all around lens for Canon?

6Speed

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I have been using a Canon 18-55mm 3.5-5.6 lens for my all around, and it works ok. Unfortunately it is the cheap kit lens and loses sharpness fairly significantly as you move away from center of the frame. Additionally, after about 1.5 years of use, it has started malfunctioning, causing my camera to throw a 99 error code.

I only assume the culprit is the lens since my camera (20d) does not give this code/malfunction with other lenses.

Anyway, I'm looking to upgrade w/o breaking the bank. A faster lens would be nice, and also one that has a greater focal range...maybe an 18-70? I'm not stuck on using Canon only. I'm open to any other manufacturer so long as it's a good lens (and of course fits my 20d :)). After sifting through B&H website I haven't found one yet that really catches my eye, so I hoped you guys would be able to help me.

Recommendations?

The 50mm is indeed a good lens at a great price. The large max aperture will allow it to do things that the kit lens can't do.

For kit lens replacement...there are several options. The Canon 17-85 IS, is a pretty good lens. It feels and works much better than the kit lens and IS, is a great tool to have. It also has USM focus. It isn't, however, any faster (max aperture) than the kit lens.

If you want a larger aperture, without breaking the bank...I'd suggest something like the Tamron 17-50 F2.8. It's got great image quality and the large aperture, across the whole zoom range, is fantastic.

I have all of lenses in question...I use the Tamron for weddings but I like the 17-85 for all around shooting in good light. I don't use the 50mm much since I got the Sigma 30mm F1.4.

Thanks guys. I planned on purchasing the 50mm, but first I wanted to get another zoom lens to replace the kit lens.

I will check into the Tamron. I would think with IS you could use a slower shutter speed which would make up for it not being a 2.8 lens in low light. Course you wouldn't quite get the same shallowness in DOF, but 2.8 to 3.5 is only 1 stop...not that huge of a diff, right...

Just looked it up and see that it's a 4-5.6. Little slower than I thought.

Yes, on the wide end, it's only about one stop difference, but on the long end...F2.8 is much better than F5.6.

Image Stabilization is great, and yes, it does let you use slower shutter speeds while shooting hand held. This does let you shoot in lower light...however, it only prevents blur from camera shake...it does nothing to prevent the blur from moving subjects at slower shutter speeds. This is why I have the Tamron for shooting weddings...because people are rarely still.

Most reactions

Back