good budget tripod?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by bla, Aug 10, 2005.

1. bla

bla TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    hey everyone, my recent strong-as-toothpicks tripod broke on me, surprise surprise... so anyway, i'm on the look out for a good tripod

i know a good tripod is important, the problem is though, i don't know what is a good tripod

basicly something sturdy, stable, and convenient enough so that i can snap on my camera clean and fast?

what do you guys recommend?

thanks a lot in a advance

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Welcome to the forum.

What was your old one like? Do you think you need a better & more durable one...or just a new one? What's you budget like? Do you carry it for long distances?

There are many many cheap tripods. Plastic or aluminum legs with a built-in head. I've got a Velbon...it's OK for what it is...a cheap tripod. It's light and sort of durable but not really that steady....especially if I have to extend the centre post.

If you want something that is strong and sturdy...check out Bogen / Manfrotto. They make all sorts of tripods but they can get very expensive. A good/bad part is that they come without built-in heads. You can get all sorts of different tripod heads. My favorite are pistol grip ball heads but those are expensive...also a big sturdy tripod will be heavy...not good for hiking.

Now there are also carbon fiber tripods...they are both sturdy and light...of course they are very, very expensive.

3. bla

bla TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks mike, my old tripod was one of those things you buy in general electronics stores, that cost me maybe 30 bucks, i don't even know who makes it, needless to say, i wasn't thinking too much about tripods back then

i do need something more durable, though sturdiness is less of a concern, i could always try to work with it, and weight is even less of a concern

my budget is pretty low though, i'm hoping to find something in the 60 to 70 dollar price range, which i think puts me too low for a bogen, which i hear makes great tripods

4. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i have a velbon too actually. it's ok, like you said, but not very sturdy. it's almost best to not go 'cheap' with a tripod and to go ahead and save up for one that will do the job well. what kind of camera are you using? if you have a large digital or film SLR and use long lenses, a nice sturdy tripod is a must. if you use a point and shoot digital, you can use something much, much smaller and cheaper. if you do have arger equipment, though, a bogen or manfrotto is probably a good idea.

5. bla

bla TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i have a sigma sa9, it's not very heavy, so i might or might not get a bogen, but thanks for the responses