Good camera bag?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by Sinister_kid, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Sinister_kid

Sinister_kid TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
  2. Steph

Steph No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It is hard to recommend a camera bag over the Internet. Take all your gear and go to a camera shop to try different bags. See if all your equipment fits in it and if it is comfortable to carry. That being said, Lowepro have a good range of sturdy camera bags. But I am sure there are others.

3. Frequent Traveler

Frequent Traveler TPF Noob!

Without knowing what style of photography you intend to focus on, it's hard to recommend anything...

I've recently bought 2 "new" bags (for about $50 USD), but they are NOT specific camera bags. I use vintage military surplus canvas which, fortunately, is kind of trendy right now (and VERY cheap) where i live.

One bag is like a messenger bag, though kinda smallish,

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=445954

and the other bag is the SMALL (quite rare actually) Army ALICE rucksack made from 22oz milspec canvas.

http://www.harrys.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=33&products_id=598

I don't worry about the whole notion of having "waterproof" bags because a small garbage bag tucked in a pocket somewhere does the job just as well and is a whole lot cheaper.

Anyway, my selections are based on what/how i like to shoot - which is street photography. So for me, a bag that doesn't draw attention or look like it has something expensive in it works best for me. I usually have to add some padding, but "discreet" is what i need the most - especially when i am on a tram or trolley and "pick-pocket" thieves abound.

I've worked in law enforcement, the military, and other "intentional observation" vocations and learned that blending in with the local "styles" and not looking so much like a tourist is very helpful - especially for Americans.

HTH,

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  4. Sinister_kid

Sinister_kid TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Im more into extreme sports photography and cars stuff.. im looking towards something like a dakine camera bag or something like that.

5. Josh66

Josh66 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    How many lenses do you have (or plan on having)?

I think first you need to decide on style - backpack or sholder bag, looks like you're leaning towards a backpack.

I personally prefer the shoulder bags, but a backpack is nice too.
    Will you need to be able to access it while wearing it?

I use a Domke F-2 (shoulder bag) and love it. I've used a backpack for a while too, but I think the shoulder bags are a little easier to get into - especially if you want to get something out of it while you're wearing it.

6. Sinister_kid

Sinister_kid TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I have two lenses right now. and i dont think i will have to.. Shouldnt have to.