good camera.

MrsTaylor

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Okay so I am new at all of this. really new. lol. Actually I havnt even started..and this question has prolly be asked multiple times so I apologize up front. I am wanting to start classes in the fall but I want to get a camera now, and I am just really wanting to know whats a good camera for a beginner?

thanks a lot.

Welcome

The Canon Digital Rebel XTi is a good beginner camera. You could also look at the Nikon D40x and D80

As you've already guessed, we can spend a lot of your money! What are you looking to spend and of what would you like to take photos? Also how much of your time are you willing to spend on photography? This last is often overlooked but is extremely important to which camera is best suited to you.

mike

A Nikon FM2, Pentax K1000, Canon AE-1, Minolta XD-7, Olympus OM2, or a Praktica, Yashica, Fujica, Chinon, Cosina or Vivitar... in other words a manual-focus, manual exposure 35mm film SLR.

Or a Nikon F80, Canon EOS 300, Pentax MZ-5, Minolta Dynax... a modern autofocus, multi-mode 35mm film SLR.

Or a thousand-dollar Leica or twenty-dollar Zorki... a 35mm film rangefinder.

Or a Nikon D50, Canon Rebel XT, Pentax K100D, Sony A100, Olympus E-400... An 'entry-level' digital SLR.

Or a Nikon D2x, a Canon 1Ds Mk II... a professional-grade digital SLR, if you have the money...

Or a Panasonic FZ-20, Sony R1, Canon S3 or G6... a quality fixed-lens digital compact camera with manual exposure controls.

... because I don't know what sort of course you're doing. Film or digital? And because I don't know how much money you are willing to spend, on a single camera and on photography in general. And because I don't know how you want to learn - by starting off with a camera that does it all for you and gradually taking control, or by starting with a camera that does nothing thereby forcing you to learn the basics? In other words, I can provide an almost infinite number of suggestions (and the ones I gave are only examples) but if you could narrow down your requirements a bit that would definitely help.

When in doubt, contact the person who will be your instructor. It may be that the course will be geared to cameras with certain specific capabilities.

yes, a beginner's set up can easily consume USD 10,000 .. or USD 50 .. depending on purpose, available money ... and whatever

Okay...thanks for the info, and sorry for not giving so much information.

I am taking a class for film and digital. I need both.

Also I will have a lot of time to dedicate to this. Mostly every weekend starting next year, and lot of time during the week also, since I wont be working much.

Anyways I am willing to spend some money..I would like to stay under 1000 for both, but could go more.

Again any more info would be great but thanks a lot for all the replies.

my advice would be to either get

(a) a setup with two slr's of the same brand so you can interchange lenses

or (b) a setup with a film slr and a point and shoot digital camera

if you pick (a), i suggest something like...the nikon d50 and an n80 or similar.
if (b) i would suggest something like the pentak k1000, nikon fm, or fe, or just anything you can shoot in manual, and a standard digicam (the ones that range around $200)

The only advice I give on choosing a camera:
1) Go to a big camera store.
2) Pick up and play with as many different cameras as you can (both new and second hand).
3) Do not listen to anything the shop assistant might say to you.
4) Repeat this process.
Sooner or later you will pick up a camera that feels like it belongs there.
That's the one to buy.

If you ask for advice on which camera to buy you will get half the world and his brother telling you which one is best in their opinion.
Cameras are very personal things and choosing one is like choosing underwear. It has to be right for you.
You can't use a camera if it feels awkward. You will be concentrating on the camera more than on your subject matter and this leads to the production of cr*p.*
You need to have a camera that feels as if it is a part of you.
The truth about cameras is that the only real difference between them is the styling. The differences in image quality these days are so minimal as to be un-noticeable by the majority. Despite this you still get people arguing about 'which camera is better'. There are any number of threads like that on here. And they are all b*******!
It boils to a choice: do you want to impress people with your camera or just use it to take pictures?
If it's the former then make sure you invest in a huge lens so that people can see you have a camera - and buy the t-shirt so that people can see what make it is from a distance (stops them getting poked in the eye by your huuuuge Freudian lens).
But if it is the latter then you need a camera you are comfortable using and you don't need to listen to people telling you what they would buy. They are not going to be the one who is using it.

(Rant terminated at 09.01 GMT)

* The technical name for pictures you are not happy with.

my advice would be to either get

(a) a setup with two slr's of the same brand so you can interchange lenses

or (b) a setup with a film slr and a point and shoot digital camera

if you pick (a), i suggest something like...the nikon d50 and an n80 or similar.
if (b) )
I can agree with this. Get a good DSLR and you can find a really good film body used for an excellent price just make sure the lenses are compatible so in other words no Nikon D40 but you can get another body that will use all lenses.

Holding one is a good idea but if you like Nikon get a N8008 for a film camera (uses AA batterys) which should go for under $50 and is a great camera with auto focus. Auto focus is a good thing if your eyes are near or past 45.

Here is one with lenses that you could use with a Nikon D50/70s/80
http://cgi.ebay.com/nikon-n8008-wit...yZ107925QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This one is going away Sunday afternoon and if you can get it for under $200 grab it as it has 2 lenses with it one of which you are sure to like!!!
An 18-55 Nikon lens new is around $170 and don't let anyone kid you as though cheap it takes great photos.

Should you go with Nikon I would look at a used or refurbished D50 or D70s to keep you under $1000 after you've bought the film camera and lenses. They are 6 mpxls but will take great photos. Unless you are going to print insanely large prints you won't need more pixels.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I hope somebody got that. The N8008 is a good camera and the Tamrom 70-300 isn't bad, but the Nikkor 50mm f1.4 is a sweet lens and the whole kit with remote cord went for $223. Anyway, If you look about you can get a good deal on older Nikon film equipment and accessories that will still work on Nikon digitals -except the D40 which needs a silent wave lens to auto focus.

Mrs. Taylor, have you spoken to whomever is to be your instructor? It always helps to have good communication and the sooner you get started the better. Of course finding out what all you are going to need will be a help but if the instructor has any specific requirements you are going to need to know. For instance if you are going to take long exposures to study reciprosity then you are going to need a camera that will be able to do that and the accessories as well. (the remote cord in the example above)
Not all SLRs will do this. You might find that you will be doing some developing in which case a Medium Format could serve you well and you wouldn't have to worry about your DSLR matching your film camera.
If this is the case look into a TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) They are Loads of fun and allow you an imtimacy with composition that you can only get with a view camera otherwise.

Anyway, good luck

mike

Hi,
They are right in saying only you know what you need, but if you really knew it all, you wouldn't be asking us for opinions right? :) One word in my opinion, both ways....Canon...you can't go wrong. You can find some really inexpensive GREAT cameras in this line. If your looking for just a beginner camera...yeah don't spend as much. I would almost say you should go for the bullet and shoot for the higher end stuff like a 5d or 30d but then you'd be really confused, as I was...Go with your gutt :) Picking them up and handling them is GREAT advice. One will just "fit".
God bless.

Everyone has pretty much covered all of the advice I would give but one thing I found from having this experience myself is that there are some pretty good off brand lenses available (since brand names are soooo expensive). You may have to buy lenses separately, particularly with DSLRs. Sigma's are cheap and have great optical quality but I've heard that they can have a lot of mechanical problems and will "wear out" after a few years of use. I got a package deal when I bought my Nikon D200 and it came with a Sigma telephoto. I love the lens but I'm still always on the lookout for mechanical hiccups. Tokina's are supposed to be really good but they're hard to find in stores. You'd probably have to look online for one. Tamron's have the best rating as far as I've found and they're pretty easily located. Read up on any equipment you might be interested in (look for other users' reviews especially). But for the most part, like everyone else has said, you'll eventually come across something that just feels right to you.

Good luck!

Most reactions

Back