Good cheap set up for off camera flash?

Heck

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
heck.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I been thinking about getting a basic kit for some off camera flash shots. I got a D300 with a sb600. I would need a remote flash trigger system and I think I would need a umbrella. Easy to transport and cost effective is the goal. Tanking photos of people to cars is what im planning to use this for.

Any sugestions are welcome. Thanks.

If you dont want to spend any money other than on lighting, Then just use the Nikon CLS which is built in wireless.

Or if you want to spend some money there is really only one way to go and that is some Pocket Wizards. They are the best wireless solution that you can get, but they do come for a price.

Your D300 has an OCF system built-in. It's known as CLS (Creative Lighting System). There are directions on how to use it in your D300 Users Manual.

The SB-600 is a bit weak for your intended use. At least I think I understand your intended use. Your spelling or proofreading is not so good.

You will only be able to light part of a car with just it and an umbrella. The problem is the inverse square law.

If you want to use radio triggers and you're not shooting for pay, ebay triggers cost a fraction of Pocket Wizards.

Indeed. PW's aren't the end-all and be-all. You could do a lot with an SU-800 with a sync cord attached too. And you'll have iTTL. Heavens, if McNally can finagle 47 flashes to fire in concert without PW's, you certainly can do it for one lowly flash. :greenpbl:

Indeed. PW's aren't the end-all and be-all. You could do a lot with an SU-800 with a sync cord attached too. And you'll have iTTL. Heavens, if McNally can finagle 47 flashes to fire in concert without PW's, you certainly can do it for one lowly flash. :greenpbl:
The only trouble is, a new SU-800 is $250.

He could get another SB-600 for that and still use the D300 in commander mode to trigger his speedlights.

For $250 he could get 2 285HV's and the eBAy radio trigger set (on-camera transmitter and 2 receivers, $36). Those receivers can each mount 2 speedlights.

The SU-800 does give a stronger signal than the D300 (actually infrared light) but it's still essentially line-of-sight. Many times Joe was using the SU-800 at the end of a couple of $75 cables so it could 'see' around corners.

Here's a link to the eBay triggers.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is it really that pricey? Ah, I should've thought so; the ST-E2 is no less expensive. Ah well.

The price is no sweat.......for Joe. Actually, I'd bet Nikon gives him all kinds of stuff for using and plugging their gear.

I did play with the D300 in commander mode in the house and it was hit and miss on getting it to fire most times. Then I had a small photo shoot with a friends car and I guess I was having line of site problems and could not get the flash to fire not even once. So a trigger system might make life easy. As for the Sb 600 not having the power I may need but If it works for helping with some fill light lets say on a car in a shady area then thats ok for now. I can alway get another flash down the road.

I did play with the D300 in commander mode in the house and it was hit and miss on getting it to fire most times. Then I had a small photo shoot with a friends car and I guess I was having line of site problems and could not get the flash to fire not even once. So a trigger system might make life easy. As for the Sb 600 not having the power I may need but If it works for helping with some fill light lets say on a car in a shady area then thats ok for now. I can alway get another flash down the road.
When in commander mode, you have to be sure you have everything in the right mode, in the right group, and on the right channel.

You may have to swivel the head on the flash body to make sure the sensor window can see the D300. You just have to be aware when you set up. I've gone so far as to use a mirror to extend line-of-sight around a corner.

At any rate you have the link to the eBay triggers now.

Do you know about the Vivitar 285HV speedlights ($100 ea)

Last edited:
KmH you nailed it. Thinking back to that day now and your right about not having the flash body pointed toward the camera. I had just got the new camera then ran out to do a shoot with a friend when I got the new flash. So with everything going on and a rush to get some shots in before a rain storm I just did not think to turn the damn flash body to face the camera. Man that was stupid lol. I got some practice and more learning to do now.

Um, so this might be a little off topic, but as for getting the light from the flash on the body to hit the sensors on the other units, the Presslite Vertex can be a great boon outdoors. It saved my butt on a shoot today (my Cactus triggers got lost somewhere...bah), and I could use it to trigger two flashes that were far left and far right of the camera. (I also forgot my sync cord...*sigh* Still made it work though with that Vertex.) Best of all it costs $50 and is good for a whole lot more than just triggering off-camera flashes at weird angles.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back