Good Day

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by Big Mike, Feb 26, 2007.

1. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    I'm having a good couple of days, in terms of my fledgling photography company anyway.

Yesterday, I did plenty of shooting for my nephew's baptism. It was pretty much pro bono work, but it gave me a good chance to work in a church and to try out my new equipment. They had an after party and I ran into a girl who's wedding I'll be shooting in March. She has a friend who needed a photographer and said she would pass my name on.

Then today; a friend of mine called me at work to book a photo shoot for his 7 month old son. Two seconds after I hung up the phone with him...I received an E-mail from another friend to book a maternity shoot for him & his wife.

2. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Haha, your on a nice lil role. :D
    Excellent news.

3. Icon72

Icon72 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Very nice. Hopefully the work keeps rolling in for you.

4. Jeremy Z

Jeremy Z No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Great news Mike! Once you build a portfolio and have a few clients, you're all set! Word of mouth & business cards will take care of the rest.

5. danalec99

danalec99 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    :thumbsup:

6. craig

craig TPF Noob!

Good job on the work! Personally I would shoot myself if I worked with small children.

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't mind shooting with small kids...and considering that most of my friends and family are either having kids or about the age to start...it's a good business for me to be in.

While I don't mind shooting small children...it's not easy. Well, getting that great shot isn't easy because you are at the mercy of their mood. The problem that I'm having is that it's hard to concentrate on the technical while trying to get that great expression or pose. Maybe once I can set up a little studio in my home...the lighting will be easier. Right now I'm setting up in people's living rooms and space is always an issue.

I did a shoot last night...after a quick review of the shots...I'm not thrilled with what I have but I'm sure I'll be able to deliver them a few good shots.

8. PNA

PNA TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Nice, When do you switch jobs......???? :)

9. craig

craig TPF Noob!

The technical aspect will quickly become second nature. Working in small areas is tough. For me that is more frustrating then anything. Certainly have gotten better at it, but I still have to say "there is no way I can shoot here". Coming up with a plan B can be a doozy as well.

Recent example: The client needed a shot of her art fair tent (standard EZ UP) for said art fair application. Of course Jackson this time of year is basically frozen with gusting winds. No garage. So she set the deal up in her living room. Which would have been fine except for the fact that she lives in a round house! After backing into everything I set my tripod at 2' and set it on the kitchen island. Worked well. She was impressed.

10. Jim Gratiot

Jim Gratiot TPF Noob!

Craig... I suppose it's not surprising that many, many people feel the way you do... but it certainly is good news for those photographers who have decided to concentrate on kids. Less competition, and all that.

Plus, if you can hook the parents when the kids are young... then you can have a guaranteed client for 16 or 17 more years.

11. Christie Photo

Christie Photo No longer a newbie, moving up!

You're thinking right, Mike. I can't imagine doing very much of this if I had to setup anew every time. Once you have a space with everything nailed down, the job gets easier... a lot more fun too.

Pete

12. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks Pete.

I'm currently renovating my home, with the intentions of selling and buying a bigger one. I'll definitely be calling dibs on a room to use as a studio. Hopefully I won't be relegated to the basement...but we'll see what my wife says :lol:

I'm happy to be going into people's houses for now...I'm like a doctor that makes house calls. I'm hoping that this service helps to build up a client base who will eventually come to me. Right now, I'm still pretty conscious that they could just take their kids to the Wal-mart or Sears portrait studio for a very cheap price.