good deal on used kit?

Discussion in 'The Darkroom' started by denada, Feb 22, 2016.

1. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    If you want, I can scan copies of the dark room setups in my newly acquired, used Hedgecoe book, John Hedgecoe's Complete Guide to Black & White Photography and Darkroom Techniques($4.95 shipped). PM me if you would like, pretty cool, setting mine up similar if not identical.

Mod: Can I post the scanned pages in this thread?

2. terri

terri Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, please don't. :) Didn't mean to leave you hanging, I just now saw this post. However, if wanted to do that via PM for the benefit of the OP, with the clear acknowledgement that the images are from the Hedgecoe book, that would be the better option. He'll get the information and you'll keep it off the public forum.

3. denada

denada No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    thanks again for everyone's help. as of yesterday, my darkroom is operational ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lots of test sheets and mess ups as i was figuring things out.

forgot to include my colored glass chemical jugs the in the photos, but they're pretty.

window sealed with foam board on the outside and tinfoil and cardboard on the interior. door sealed with caulk, weather stripping, and a door sweep. more than dark enough as is, but a few minor tweaks and it will be a light vacuum. i could probably develop film during the day as is, but will do so only at night until i make those tweaks.

first finished print ...

[​IMG]

wish i would have stepped to the side to put some distance between the utility pole and his head, but this is a new hobby for me, i'm learning, and i'm still alright with the photo. dust marks because my staticwisk brush and white gloves didn't arrive until late that day, and i was already deep in work without them.

bought a space heater, but it's still a huge pain keeping the developer tray at exactly 68 fahrenheit. with the fixer and stop bath, you get a few degrees wiggle room. but not the developer. will be easier when it's hotter out and i can just dip and ice bag in it from time to time, as opposed to trying to keep the room at 68 and occasionally having to pour the developer tray into a graduated cylinder to run under hot water and then pour back into the tray.

darkroom is still functional without running water -- utility sink nearby -- but oh boy would that sink being in the room be nice. do people with dry darkrooms leave a few prints in the still water bath before stepping out and rinsing with running water, or do you step out and rinse after every print? or is there third strategy?

picked up a 10 x 12 glass sheet to make contact prints this morning. i wanted 1/4 thick, but all they had was like 1/10. but as it was 3 dollars plus change and i was already at the store, i purchased to give it a try. figure i can add weights to the sides until i motivate to get to a custom glass shop.

next step is to getting it operational for color prints. i have no idea what's involved with that, but i figure i can take a moment to enjoy and improve on b&w before starting that project. should probably start keeping an eye out for cheap gear now though. whatever that gear is. can parts be bought for the beseler printmaker 35 so it can do color and/or medium format as well?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. timor

timor Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Way to go !

5. jcdeboever

jcdeboever TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Awesomeness

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

6. xenskhe

xenskhe No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Progress as quick as you like, try split grading and perhaps selenium toning with b&w. If you come across some older papers for a good price, you can fog test them and restore them often with potassium bromide too. Cool set up !

7. xenskhe

xenskhe No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Always familarise yourself with the necessary safety data on any chems you might use of course.

8. 480sparky

480sparky Chief Free Electron Relocator Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit

Resistance was futile. You are now assimilated. [​IMG]