Good digital slr camera ??? For long shots

mikes2994

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

What is good digital slr camera , that I can add zoom lenses to later for long shots, for instance If i am at a football game and want to take some close photos, etc, and help would be appreciated, also would like to keep the camera under $1500,

Pretty much all of them. Your only real restriction is your price range. Which, by the way - is that for the body or are you factoring lenses in as well?

for the camera only, I will buy the lenses later, thanks

Any of them. In that price range, I'd look at something like a Nikon D90 or you may be able to get a D300 for that price nowadays. Of course, that's assuming you're talking about the camera body only. A good telephoto lens for a football game can easily double that $1500 budget. Of course, you can get a cheaper one, but a lot of football is at night and will be difficult to capture with even the fastest lenses.

Since most football games are played at night you'll want a camera body that performs well at high ISO settings. For the price the D90 does that very well.

...... for instance If i am at a football game and want to take some close photos, etc, ...
Nikon D300 and Nikkor 300mm f/2.8. Great combo for that. You will also want a sturdy monopod.
Now I'd say the 300mm comes up just a tad short on reach for football. I'd recommend the the 400mm f/2.8 so you don't have to crop as deep. Plus if you're shooting from the stands and not the sidelines the 400mm will be absolutely necessary.

Just watch the peoples heads in front of you. The 400mm is 15 inches long but the mount is pretty well forward.

It's to bad the 600mm is only f/4.

...... for instance If i am at a football game and want to take some close photos, etc, ...
Nikon D300 and Nikkor 300mm f/2.8. Great combo for that. You will also want a sturdy monopod.
Now I'd say the 300mm comes up just a tad short on reach for football. I'd recommend the the 400mm f/2.8 so you don't have to crop as deep. Plus if you're shooting from the stands and not the sidelines the 400mm will be absolutely necessary.

Just watch the peoples heads in front of you. The 400mm is 15 inches long but the mount is pretty well forward.

It's to bad the 600mm is only f/4.
I will tend to agree with these and, the 400mm. Another thing is how far back will you be at the games, that makes a big difference as well. Because there is the 200-400VR as well, which will give you range and, variablilty if you are close to the action at one point. With any of these money for most is the deciding factor. Actually money is the mothers milk of this hobby.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back