Good Ebay deal or bad

mindyf

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, I want to buy my first professional camera and found a deal on ebay for a camera that comes with 7 lenses and all kinds of other goodies is this a good deal or not? Has anyone seen these? Please help I don't want to waste money but sounds good because I am just starting out and want a good variety of everything I need for a wide range of pictures.

Thanks to all....

...need a LOT more information to be able to give you any kind of a decent answer.

We don't know the kind of equipment, the seller, the eBay listing, anything about the pricing, or anything else at this point.

You are essentially asking us - "I went to the car lot, found a car - is it a good deal or not?"

7 is a LOT of lenses, are all 7 of the lenses actually LENSES, or are some of them filters that the seller calls lenses?

If so, that is a huge red flag to me, as there is misrepresentation involved.

Look in what people here have as equipment - few of us carry 7 lenses around.

(An actual lens is a barrel shaped object, one end which connects directly to the camera body.)

Last edited:
You may be going overboard for just starting out but I'm not going to tell you not to. A complete rig is a large investment and like pat said, we need to see the auction to be able to verify it's authentisity as well as it's potential value.

Canon EOS 50D Digital SLR Camera Body +7 LENS KIT *NEW*

$1,699.99
Item specifics - Digital CamerasType: SLR, ProfessionalOptical Zoom: --Brand: CanonProduct Line: Canon EOSManufacturer warranty: YesModel: 50DFlash Type: Pop-up flashResolution (Megapixels): 15.1 MegapixelsMemory Card Format: CompactFlashManufacturer Part Number: 2807B005, 2807B006, 2807B017AA, 50D Body, EOS 50D, EOS50D, EOS50DKT28135Battery Type: 1 x Canon BP-511A Li-ion rechargeable battery - 1390 mAh ( included )Bundled Items: Tripod, Neck Strap, Memory Reader, Lens Cleaning Kit, Lens, Flash, Extra Memory, Camera Bag, LOTS OF ITEMS INCLUDED. SCROLL DOWN TO SEE ALL OF THEM IN PICTURESCondition: New, Never Opened
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-50D-Digital-SLR-Camera-Body-7-LENS-KIT-NEW_W0QQitemZ380174610159QQcmdZViewItemQQptZDigital_Cameras?hash=item58842c2eef

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I know little or nothing about Canon gear.

But my first impression of looking at the listing is that this looks like a lot of filler junk to me, listed like that to impress and overwhelm a newbie like you are.

You mention buying a "professional" camera. There is little in the accessories I see listed that is professional, other than Canon body and Canon lenses.

The stuff they mention as "free gifts" are almost totally worthless as far as having any real value. But they are still built into the price, you ARE paying for them, even though they are described as "free"

If it were me, I would run the other way. Not walk, run!

I would strongly suggest that you look at websites for Adorama, B&H, and KEH, maybe even Newegg before I would be bedazzled by a lot of extra fluff stuff that really has little useful or monetary value like I see here.

This is a B-I-G investment for anyone, be patient, take your time...

Buy what you need, makes NO SENSE at all to buy all kinds of extra stuff that you will never need or use.

Have you actually GONE to a local camera store to actually handle different camera bodies?

As inexperienced as I perceive you to be, do you really think that you are anywhere near ready for a professional grade camera body at this point???

There are some WONDERFUL mid-level (and far less expensive than this) Canon bodies that will do WAY more than you are capable of doing with them at this point in your learning curve.

Last edited:
This company specializes in package deals that sound pretty good on paper, erm, on the web, but there is something about this approach that makes me leery of this company. The Nikon D300 packages at around $3k looks very suspiciously overpriced.

The world is full of legitimate retailers--why would you go with an eBay seller offering this pre-made package? The allnewshop does not strike me as being the kind of place I would give $1700 worth of business to.

I see five lenses (two of them lack luster no name lenses), three sets of filters, two lens adapters (junk), Mini Travel Tripod (lol don't put an SLR on one of those it's pretty useless as a part of this rig), A T-Mount adapter (unless you have other T-mount lenses it's useless), and a tripod that is nearly identical to the one I have which was cheap at walmart, but I have gotten two years and counting from mine so....

Over all without knowing prices on a handful of these things I'd say it does not look aweful but you'll have a ton of shit you don't need or would ever use. Basically this bundle is selling you crap that won't sell on it's own with stuFf people actually want. Those things include the Mirror lens, the lens adapters (2x telephoto and wideangle) the T-mount 650mm super telezoom and that Mini Travel Tripod, infact if memory serves me correctly the two lens adapters actually go to a point and shoot and not an SLR camera and I know those Mini Tripods are junk.

My suggestion is stay away from this one, too many components you do not need or want.

The sellers of these kits are looking for uninformed suckers! They are full of junk that will just be tossed aside once you really get to know the camera.

If I were you. I would concentrate on buying the body 50D a good choice. A good start would be the 50D and the 18-55 kit lens. And maybe a longer lense like the 55-250. they are both decent lenses, yes there are better ones made. But are priced much much more. They are good starting point.

Leave the other stuff behind thats in that kit. It's a bunch of cheap stuff sold at good item prices. Some of the stuff listed acually comes with the camera anyway! But most of the items are cheap made products.

All of this below can be purchased at B&H photo video, Adorama, or other online stores.

A Canon 50D is about $980.
A Canon 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 IS (White Box) $140. White box means in plain package same as a fully packaged lens.
A Canon 55-250 f/4-5.6 IS $255.
A Canon 50mm f/1.8 $110.
Thats $1485. Take the other $215 and buy a CF card, bag or backpack, maybe even a tripod locally that you like.

You will end up with less junk and better equipment for the same price.

Ok read your responses twice, me and my husband agree, going with some of your suggestions. Thank you so much. Glad I chose to ask you all.

Last edited:
As a beginner, you might look for a used 40D in good condition ... it is a great body and will last you a long time. With the new 7D out, I have seen several for sale at my local camera shop in the $600 range. Sink your money into lenses ... if you choose wisely, they will stay with you if you upgrade your body later.

Thanks for all the info went to b h and found what I was looking for :sexywink:. Should have a new camera soon so excited to put what I have been learning from NYIP to practice!!!

Thanks for all the info went to b h and found what I was looking for :sexywink:. Should have a new camera soon so excited to put what I have been learning from NYIP to practice!!!

Ah, good for you. Hope everything will be as you expect it. Congrats. :thumbup:

Now who is going to tell the kids Christmas is on hold for a year because Santa spent his money on camera equipment. :lol:

Ah, good for you. Hope everything will be as you expect it. Congrats. :thumbup:

Now who is going to tell the kids Christmas is on hold for a year because Santa spent his money on camera equipment. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Thanks I am so excited, as for the children they are 2 yrs and 8 mo. so they don' t know what christmas is anyway, lol. And they will get thier fair share from grandparents!!!!

Most reactions

Back