Good Friday in Jerusalem (avid for critique)

Some of your captions aren't that classy.

The images are ok - the subject matter is interesting, but the shots don't illuminate the topic to an uninformed viewer. Technically they're correctly exposed. I would have preferred some more interesting shot composition. A lot of them feel like you just shot away, rather than waiting for a subject to enter the frame for specific composure.

Some of your captions aren't that classy.

The images are ok - the subject matter is interesting, but the shots don't illuminate the topic to an uninformed viewer. Technically they're correctly exposed. I would have preferred some more interesting shot composition. A lot of them feel like you just shot away, rather than waiting for a subject to enter the frame for specific composure.

i agree :thumbup:

Thank you.

The photos at the Holy Sepulchre entrance and the Via Dolorosa are shot away indeed. It was madness trying to sneak between the crowds, the processions, the police and clergy body guards to shoot.

Forget the captions, not part of the issue.

Forget the captions, not part of the issue.
I beg to differ. You are asking us, as members of a forum that no doubt has members from all ethnicities, races, and religious backgrounds, to critique the photos you took at one of the most religious sites this world has to offer. The sheer amount of tradition and culture available where you were is stunning - and you have the temerity to take photographs and then belittle your subjects. I think your subject, if you are at all serious about photography, should be treated with reverence and respect. Instead you post petty comments on the beards, weight, and general appearance of the people you photographed. If I was an Orthodox Jew, perhaps the captions WOULD have some relevance, no? Think about it for just ONE second!

It goes beyond the respect issue, though - I assume you are trying to create moving, inspiring images (please correct me if I'm wrong). I will guarantee you, you will NEVER get the images you want with the attitude you exhibit. Photography is about empathy and feeling, about emotion, reverence, and respect, not just proper exposure. These are what help bring about good photos. My advice to you - erase the captions, fix your attitude, and THEN go take some photos. Until then, you may as well store your camera.

Lastly - the captions DO have a bearing because you are asking me, and every other person on this forum, to spend time critiquing YOUR photos. This is not a right you have, we do not owe you anything. WE do it because we love photography and genuinely want to help people. Do you really expect people to want to spend their time advising someone as disrespectful as you appear to be?

The subject material I thought was very interesting. I love seeing intercultural gatherings and seeing people getting along even though their differences are so obvious. I did kind of get the snapshot impression though. I think that maybe if you had been given an easier place to shoot, that impression would go away, but it seems like the photos are more general, and not as subject focused. I definitely liked seeing them though.

I don't really see "people getting along" I see many pictures with everyone seperated from each other. To make more sense to me I would have liked to see the other cultures in a photo together to see diversity in action.

I could also have no idea what I'm talking about. I'll admit that I'd get a chuckle if the comments were said to me but I don't think i'd put the "make fun of people" stamp on my photos.

added:
No question the photos are taken well. There's a little glare and some are blurry but that might have been what you were going for.

Do you really expect people to want to spend their time advising someone as disrespectful as you appear to be?

Geez, lighten up, if you don't like the captions then keep it to yourself. Everyone, including the poster is free to express what they want without being disrespected by someone like you. Maybe you don't get the irony of your answer... I hope in retrospect you will.

highhorse.jpg

I think the insulting and rude captions distract from any possible appreciation of the images presented.

Perfik - Let me dissect your post:

Geez, lighten up, if you don't like the captions then keep it to yourself.
My post is not just an opinion piece. It is honest advice. The OP asked what we thought of his photos - I truly feel the OP's photos would be better if he approached his subjects with respect. I said as much.

Everyone, including the poster is free to express what they want
If this sweeping statement is true, it would seem to include me, would it not?

without being disrespected by someone like you.
I did not say a single thing that was disrespectful to the OP. Read my post over, carefully. You can't find anything disrespectful because there wasn't. Do not mistake an emphatic post for one that is disrespectful.

So it follows, since my post is not insulting, derogatory, or disrespectful in the least, I have no need to get down off my high horse. In fact, I gave the OP some VERY good, honest advice.

I get irony, and this is not it :D

I clicked on "Slideshow" and so first saw all the photos without any captions, and I wondered what it was all about, other than that apparently you missed out on something very important in presenting your photos.

But then I saw the captions on the front page ... and well. Erm ... :er: - Iron_Flatline is right, they are "not that classy" at all.

But other than that, I got to see a good many photos that neither meet any standards of exposure, nor focus, nor composition. Sorry. That's what I saw when I clicked on slideshow (and they appeared large).

And this is what you missed out on, so I think: you did not make a CHOICE on what to present. You simply uploaded all you had on your disk, no matter what, while I feel that learning to decide which photo is show-worthy and which should better remain hidden on your own harddrive (if not be binned) is one of the very first steps in becoming a better photographer.

There is nothing more annoying than being invited to a "holiday photo slide show" and getting to see all the bloopers along with the interesting photos, and all the failed attempts at getting the photo right at last.

Before you PRESENT your photos, sort out only THE BEST, and then show THOSE, and let the others, the faiures, remain your secret forever.

I'm not sure I'd see your photos differently had the captions not been there, but I'll admit my eyes were influenced by them.

My derogatory and disrespectful comments are caught somewhere between this post and my brain.:er:

By the captions and the shots displayed, i think you took this extremely important event as a joke. Instead of mocking the subjects, you could have been taking amazing photos. If you would have spent as much time thinking about your photos as you did coming up with these "clever" titles i think your composition and emotion would have showed through a lot better in the pictures.

I do disagree that the captions are not part of the issue. It's like reading a book and not paying attention to the title. And because of this, I'm unsure if the pictures are supposed to be humorous or serious. If they were meant to be humorous, the photos themselves don't quite project the humor along with the title given. It gives me more of a sense that you were mocking the subject in the photos. If you were being serious, it doesn't quite have the composition of such. Most of the photos look like they've just been passing shots here and there, not really composed. There are a couple of exceptions such as the very first one, "Life is Short". The photo itself could be very touching and emotional....but then the caption ruins that mood.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back