Good General Lens (stay-on-lens) for D80?

Kristie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am purchansing the new Nikon D80 camera soon.
I am having a hard time trying to figure out what type of lens to get for all basic use.
I am wanting to spend $500 or less (or somewhere around that)
I'd like something that I can take macro shots with as well as something that has a slight zoom.
So far, I'm considering the Nikkor 18-70mm.

Anyone else with better suggestions?

Thank you.

The new kit lense that Nikon released actually sounds like a good buy. It's a 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S DX

That'll give you a bit more range than the 18-70 and shouldn't cost much more. The canadian price is $425 (M.S.R.P).

The 18-70 is fantastic. The 18-135 has yet to be released for review. It's impossible to tell whether it's a true AF-S or the fake AF-S featured on the 18-55 and 55-200. Optical Quality also has yet to be determined. If you can find one, you might consider spending a touch more and going with the 18-200VR. Fantastic lens.

I'd also suggest the 18-200 Nikkor. The 18-70 is a good lens for the money, but with the 10 megapixel sensor on the D80 you will start to see it's limitations. The last thing you want to do is spend $1000 on a camera body and put a cheap lens on it. I'd actually recommend the 28-70mm f/2.8 or the 17-55DX, they'd be great on the D80, but they are a bit out of your target price range.

Orgnoi1 said:
My vote would be for the 18-200VR if you want it to fit just about any bill for photography..

This could be a one lens, one time investment............. :thumbup:

I'm considering it myself, if you can find one.

If you are new to photography, I'd suggest a prime lens, like a 35mm or 50mm. Everyone seems to want a zoom, but it can teach you bad habits and I think you will learn to see as the camera sees faster with a prime. You can get a zoom later if you need the versatility. If you do go with a prime, only shoot at certain focal lengths, not all over the range. For instance, if it's an 18mm-70mm, only shoot at 18, 23, 35, 50, and 70. Learn to see at each of those focal lengths. Don't use the zoom as an excuse to save you from a walk. Choose the focal length first because of what it does for the image, then walk to frame the image.

markc said:
If you are new to photography, I'd suggest a prime lens, like a 35mm or 50mm. Everyone seems to want a zoom, but it can teach you bad habits and I think you will learn to see as the camera sees faster with a prime. You can get a zoom later if you need the versatility. If you do go with a prime, only shoot at certain focal lengths, not all over the range. For instance, if it's an 18mm-70mm, only shoot at 18, 23, 35, 50, and 70. Learn to see at each of those focal lengths. Don't use the zoom as an excuse to save you from a walk. Choose the focal length first because of what it does for the image, then walk to frame the image.
I'm new to photography, but not THAT new. I currently have a Nikon F65 35mm camera. I am wanting to get into digital, which is something I'm fairly new at.
Do you think the 18mm-70mm is a good lens to start with?
What's really the main difference between that lens and the 35mm and 50mm that you recommended?

I don't know Nikon lenses (I only used the 18-70 as an example), but generally, prime lenses will be better quality, as zooms have to be made with compromises. Consumer zooms are much better than they used to be, but there is still a difference. Primes are also faster. You'll be able to shoot in lower light and blur the background more.

Zooms are more convenient if you need a variety of focal lengths, but again, I think people overrate this. From what I've seen, when a photographer starts to refine their style, they tend to work with specific focal lengths.

It's very much an individual choice. That's just my personal experience and observation.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back