Good grip for 50D?

As for the battery grip.

I read goods and bads regarding after market grips. (I have the Canon for my 40d)

After market grips in general:

Pros:
- Look like the Canon version. (Some even claim they use the same molding)
- Some have all the functions as the Canon version.
- Price is much cheaper.

Cons:
- The soft plastic rubber where people's hand hold the grip with come off. Need to glue it back.
- The shutter and other buttons feel are not as good as the Canon.
- Material that used was not as strong as the Canon version. (I seen someone post photos of the broken grip. The grip broke into 2 half when mounted on a tripod. The plastic screw sockets on the upper part broke. Due to heavy camera and lens. But the owner glue everything back and the grip still worked)
- Some has issue with the contacts. Camera shut off in the middle of the shooting. Need to do something to make it work better. It seems like the after market grips for the Rebel series is better than those for the xxD series.

Again, this is what I read on the net and doesn't means after market grips are bad. Just do more research on the one you are going to get.

If the Canon grips cost 3 times than the after market one, it is pretty attempting. But I am afraid if the grip broke when my camera mounted on the tripod, my lens and camera may go with the grip. :er:

One other quick question I have and it maybe stupid. Is it true that with the battery grip, is it true that you will get more frames per second?

not with the canons. one of the nikons i was looking at for instance was reporting 6fps w/o a grip, and 8fps w/grip. dont recall the model though.

the only stupid question is the one not asked!

Most reactions

Back