Good lens for pictures of the kid

dry3210

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, now that my kid is getting expressive I've been taking more pictures of him. I was thinking about getting one of the 50mm lens but I'm wondering if it is worth it or if I should stick with the stock lens (18-55mm) and the Tamron 90mm macro.

Thanks for the input.

any lens will work for taking pictures of him... it's a matter of you knowing how to take good pictures of him...

How old is he? Do you need to take pictures from far away? Do you need to take pictures in the dark? Do you need to take pictures of him moving?

We need more info to really be able to help you...

The 18-55 kit lens will work fine as long as you know what you're doing as the photographer ;)

Well he's only 3 months at the moment so he isn't running around or anything but in due time he will be. I find myself taking pictures in low light a lot lately and more close up shots/protraitish shots.

Oh I also do have a flash but I actually prefer not to use it usally as I like the natural lighting shots better with him.

And a lot of the reason I seem to be shooting him in low light is probably due to winter but now that it is warming up there will be some more outside shots but still closer up ones.

A lot of pictures of him with his mother

I think the 50mm lens is good choice. What camera body are you going to use it on?

You can't go wrong with a 50mm, honestly. Once I got mine, I pretty much use it for 90% of the pictures of my daughter (10 months now). Great in low light, and great for when they're older and moving around (since you can open up the aperture to get the fast shutter speed). I don't know much about the 90mm, but you'll likely have a tough time taking shots indoors with that, especially if you have a cropped frame sensor.

Now is a good time to learn how to effectively use that speedlight you have.

It can make your images look 'pro'.

I think the 50mm lens is good choice. What camera body are you going to use it on?

Canon XTi

You can't go wrong with a 50mm, honestly. Once I got mine, I pretty much use it for 90% of the pictures of my daughter (10 months now). Great in low light, and great for when they're older and moving around (since you can open up the aperture to get the fast shutter speed). I don't know much about the 90mm, but you'll likely have a tough time taking shots indoors with that, especially if you have a cropped frame sensor.

I find the 90mm is a little rough in the low light. I'm guessing the better of the two 50mm would be the one to go with for the extra $200 or so it costs or not worth it?

It is something I need to get better at I just don't seem to really be able to effectively use it. I end up having a lot of issues with shadows. If you have any good readings on the use of one flash I'd be interested.

24-70 2.8 would be nice... if you have 2k.... =D

Canon XTi

I find the 90mm is a little rough in the low light. I'm guessing the better of the two 50mm would be the one to go with for the extra $200 or so it costs or not worth it?

It is something I need to get better at I just don't seem to really be able to effectively use it. I end up having a lot of issues with shadows. If you have any good readings on the use of one flash I'd be interested.

Canon XTi is a great starting camera.

I personally DON'T think the extra 200 is worth it.

Just google your brand of flash with the word how to use or something similar and voila.

Most reactions

Back