Good lens for Rebel XTi?

jamesino

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I'm looking to purchase a Canon 400D Digital Rebel XTi DSLR as my intro intro into digital photography. From reading reviews online, I have gathered that the kit 18-55mm lens that comes with it is very poor. As a result, I have decided to buy the camera body and lens separately. What would be a good "general" lens under $300 (preferably under $200) to start with? I would like to take a variety of photos, from landscape, outdoor shot, indoor shot, portraits, not so much sports. A macro ability would be nice too.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum.

I'd suggest that you stick with the 18-55mm kit lens. It's not as bad as the reputation that it has on the internet. It only costs about $100 when bought with the camera...and it may be the best $100 zoom lens you can get for your camera.

If you have the money to get a better lens, that would be a good idea...but $200 or $300 isn't really going to get you a better replacement.

One suggestion would be to get the 50mm F1.8 lens. It's less than $100 and it has a few advantages over the 18-55mm lens. Firstly, the 50mm F1.8 has a large max aperture, so you can shoot with a shallow DOF and you can get fast shutter speeds in lower lights. Also, it has pretty good glass, which makes for pretty good images. Of course, it's not a zoom lens, which may leave you stuck with the wrong focal length for a given situation.

Perhaps you should get the kit lens and the 50mm F1.8. That should fit within your budget and give you plenty of good options for shooting different things.

I agree with big mike to start there and then try and decide what you like.

I have heard great things about the Tamron 28-75 2.8 but I don't have it.

If you have the time I would buy the XTi body only and try to pick up a used 18-55. You'll save a couple of more bucks. Used 18-55 are usually easy to find since people often plan to replace them as they learn and upgrade. If you can wait till after Christmas there will probably be more of them avail, due to upgrade gifts.

I have the kit lens and I'm pleased with them for now, but then again I don't know any better(noob). I am planning on getting a telephoto lens, then some filters, then a prime around the 70mm +- area, then if my wife hasn't thrown me out of the house replace my kit lens. I may also get an extender if I think I need more range out of my telephoto. This may change as my needs may change in the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back