Good lens or not?

Coralguy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a new lens. A lot of my photo's are "far away" and I want a good zoom. The problem is low light.... I have been looking at several different ones and can't really make up my mind. The most important factor is the low light problem. Too far for a flash. The one I am looking at now is a D type Nikon f2.8.
Since I am very new to this whole photography thing, is it the f value on whether or not the lens is any good in low light right? The smaller the number the better if I read it correctely. And will a D lens work on a Nikon D1X? I don't have all the particulars on the lens on hand, I could find them if needed. I know it is ???-300mm with a tripod mount, hood, blah blah. Manual and auto focus it says.

Any suggestions?

Coralguy

All Nikon lenses will work on Nikon digital cameras, the question is and probably what you're asking is to what degree.

On that end, I'm not totally sure. Nikon's website goes over that stuff, as does the manual that came with your camera.

Ok, found the specs. Please let me know what to expect out of this lens.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Details[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Filter Size[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]77 mm[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Aperture[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]f/2.8 - f/3.5[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Minimum Focus Range[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]72 in[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Magnification[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Telephoto (65 to 600mm)[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]View Angle[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]12.33 - 20.17 degrees[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Groups/Elements[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]16 Elements in 11 Groups[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Diameter[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3.4 in[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Length[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7.4 in[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Weight[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]45.9 oz[/FONT]

I'm sure this lens will work with your camera. Yes, the smaller f number means that the lens is 'faster' and so will be better for lowlight settings. Bear in mind that where an aperture range is listed (like yours says f2.8 - 3.5), then the first number is the widest possible aperture at the short end (zoomed out) and the second is zoomed in, so when you are as zoomed in as you can be, the biggest aperture you can use will be f3.5.

If the lens is 300mm then the crop factor of the d1x makes this 450mm, so it's a pretty long zoom. It says on those specs that it's a 600mm zoom, so if you can afford it, can I have one too please?

Thanks bigfatbadger,

I also found one that does not zoom as much and the f stop is 1.4 I'm pretty sure. Way too expensive for that one. I had a guy tell me not to buy "other lens's" and to stick with Nikon. So I shop for Nikon with a larger price difference.

Most reactions

Back