PhilGarber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
philipofnj.redbubble.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi all,

This summer, I'm thinking of building myself a photography studio. What is good, affordable lighting equipment? For me, affordable is $50.00 USD and under.. is this possible?:er::drool:

Thanks,

Phil

$50 won't go far. I just ordered 2 flashes (Vivitar 285HV) with light stands and umbrellas, with Cactus wireless triggers for under $500, which I think is a good basic setup. I ordered mine from Midwest Photo Exchange, and I am 100% happy with them. They also sell kits which might help you get started: http://www.mpex.com/page.htm?PG=Strobist Kits

Last I checked...sunlight was still free. ;)

$50 won't go far. I just ordered 2 flashes (Vivitar 285HV) with light stands and umbrellas, with Cactus wireless triggers for under $500, which I think is a good basic setup. I ordered mine from Midwest Photo Exchange, and I am 100% happy with them. They also sell kits which might help you get started: http://www.mpex.com/page.htm?PG=Strobist Kits

Hey thanks man! That Starving Student kit seems just what I need.. Now we're do I get $200.00??:scratch::drool::raisedbrow::???::p.

Phil,

The studio will be in a windowless garage.

That's no excuse. I have seen the most spectacular garage portrait done using sunlight. Basically the model was parked right near the door, and the garage door was open. It was the middle of the day so outside was bright, and natural but very very diffuse light was streaming in camera right, and a reflector camera left provided some subtle fill.

Total cost $7 for a reflector, and the photo looked fantastic.

Pity though this method relies heavily on it being a nice day so enough light comes in through the garage door.

Hope your back gets better.

That's no excuse. I have seen the most spectacular garage portrait done using sunlight. Basically the model was parked right near the door, and the garage door was open. It was the middle of the day so outside was bright, and natural but very very diffuse light was streaming in camera right, and a reflector camera left provided some subtle fill.

Total cost $7 for a reflector, and the photo looked fantastic.

Pity though this method relies heavily on it being a nice day so enough light comes in through the garage door.

Hope your back gets better.

Hey man, backs a lot better :p!

The idea is that we're (my family and I) will build a studio in the garage. Meaning no garage door opportunity's. This thing will like, divide the garage. We're planning on putting up walls, a door, the works.

The entire space will be about half a full-length school bus. This is the space, and light, I'll be working with.

Hey man, backs a lot better :p!

The idea is that we're (my family and I) will build a studio in the garage. Meaning no garage door opportunity's. This thing will like, divide the garage. We're planning on putting up walls, a door, the works.

The entire space will be about half a full-length school bus. This is the space, and light, I'll be working with.

Sorry, but it seems a bit backwards here. divide the garage. We're planning on putting up walls, a door, the works. Seems it might be better served to spend $10 or so on a couple of gallons of paint, forgo the walls, door and the works for now and spend the money on lighting. Walls, door, the works and no light do not a make a pretty picture. Space & lighting can with a bit of creativity. The walls really aren't going to show in most of the photos are they? A cheap homemade black pipe backdrop holder in the rafters gives you background choices, keeps it out of the way when the wife wants to park the car indoors and more cash for things like lighting.

Just my take on the whole matter.

Sorry, but it seems a bit backwards here. divide the garage. We're planning on putting up walls, a door, the works. Seems it might be better served to spend $10 or so on a couple of gallons of paint, forgo the walls, door and the works for now and spend the money on lighting. Walls, door, the works and no light do not a make a pretty picture. Space & lighting can with a bit of creativity. The walls really aren't going to show in most of the photos are they? A cheap homemade black pipe backdrop holder in the rafters gives you background choices, keeps it out of the way when the wife wants to park the car indoors and more cash for things like lighting.

Just my take on the whole matter.

hmm.. Thanks, I'll think about that..

i agree about keeping the garage in tact for the most part.

here's my 2 cents:

the absolute cheapest lighting is a pair of clamp on work lights (continuous lighting). you could pick up a pair at walmart for around $10 maybe. continuous lighting is also known as hot lights. they will bake you and your model not to mention they are a possible fire hazard should a modifier get too close. people do use them and i started out that way so it is an option.

option number 2- like previously stated, off camera flash units. vivitar 285hv or sunpak 383 are the cheapest and most reliable. you would also need poverty wizards (cactus triggers. i own them and they do work), light stands, light modifiers. the bad thing is no modeling light.

option 3- this one i recommend the most. get one light(either strobe or off cam flash unit) and a reflector. learn to use it. you can do portrait studio quality work with just one light and a reflector.
not to hijack your thread, but here are some examples using one 383 and a shoot thru umbrella:

2502805777_fb38e40df1_m.jpg

2499915219_75af09952c_m.jpg

good luck and i hope this helps :)

if youre thinking of shooting indoor professional quality portraits, normally youll need to spend at least $500 but if youre doing outdoor, then you can just buy reflectors combined with sunlight and get professional quality results which should fit your budget

Most reactions

New Topics

Back