GOOD LIGHTS?

Discussion in 'Beyond the Basics' started by RMThompson, Dec 14, 2006.

1. RMThompson

RMThompson the TPF moderators rock my world!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Hey all just came across these lights on EBAY:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200057406177&ssPageName=MERC_VIC_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT&refitem=190032529641&itemcount=4&refwidgetloc=closed_view_item&usedrule1=StoreCatToStoreCat&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

65 dollars is WELL within my price range, but right now I dont have a camera that allows for any recognition...

(only have a canon a610)

I would MUCH rather use constant lighting for portrait work, I find it easier to work with, but what are the pros and cons? Shouldnt a constant light of this type be CHEAPER?

help!

2. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    cheap lights are a false economy, Portraits need flash to freeze the subject unless the constants are really bright, in which case they are usually hot and not suited to portraiture.

3. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    We had two or three long, in-depth discussions about this type of thing...just last month. If you search around...you should be able to dig them up.

Basically what it boils down to is this...the lights you linked to are quite low powered and don't look to be adjustable...that means they are not very flexible and may be limiting to you.

Constant lights are not really very good for portraits. They can get quite hot and don't put out nearly as much light as a decent strobe...which probably means that you would need longer shutter speeds...which isn't good for sharp portraits.

I'm not saying that you can't be creative and get good results with cheap equipment...but if you are serious...then don't bother to buy crap that you will need to upgrade anyway. Check Alienbees.com for fairly priced lighting equipment that is very good.

4. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    See the thing is I am OK with upgrading if I can use these temporarily. By that logic there is no reason to buy the ones from Alienbees for a few hundred, when the REAL pros use 1800 dollar lights!

My question is more HOW do i use these strobe lights?

5. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    As long as you are OK with it...that's good enough for me.

It says that they can be triggered with your camera's flash. I'm not sure how that will affect the images, maybe if you set your flash exposure compensation to quite low...it won't over power the light from the strobes...but that may not be enough to trigger the strobes.

Also, if your camera uses a pre-flash...that will mess up the triggering of the strobes.

Your camera doesn't have a PC port...I don't think it even has a hot-shoe...so I don't think there is any other way to trigger these lights.

6. RMThompson

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thats what I was afraid of. I thought there might of been some sort of manual trigger.

What about on a D50? How would they trigger with a D50, since I was planning on purchasing one soon!

7. Big Mike

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I can't seem to figure out if the D50 as a PC connection...which would allow you to plug the PC cord (included with lights) directly into the camera. If it doesn't, you would need to get a hot shoe to PC adaptor.

8. gizmo2071

gizmo2071 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    D50's don't have a sync plug.
    You can usually fire them of with your flash via a cell if you don't get a hot shoe.
    Like block the flash from firing at the subject with paper or tape and leave the sides open so it will trigger the flash units.

9. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

None of the consumer Nikons have them. The Nikon adapter is called the AS-15. AS stands for "accessory shoe." It sells for around $15.

10. Flash Harry

Flash Harry TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    If your needing a camera for portraits I would seriously consider a fuji s3, these take nikon lens, can shoot tethered, have hot shoe all the bells n whistles and are great for wedding & portrait work, they're also cheap as the new fuji s5 is coming soon.

11. fmw

fmw No longer a newbie, moving up!

The D50 is a better camera and is about 1/2 the price. I've owned both.

12. Mad_Gnome

Mad_Gnome TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was going through the same dilemma recently until someone gave me a bit of advice. He had bought a very similar constant (hot) lighting set and was very disappointed with the color accuracy for portrait work. He then bought a strobe setup and soon after was inundated with job requests. He told me not to waste my money on hot lights. His exact words were "If you buy the right equipment the first time, you won't have to just turn around and buy lights again."

I just ordered my first AlienBee lighting setup. Should be here on the 20th. For about $800, I got the B800 light, stand, umbrella, Vagabond portable power system, and a radio remote transmitter & receiver. Add a 5-in-1 collapsible reflector and you have a very good basic portable studio lighting setup that's ridiculously expandable.