good photoprinter

Ab$olut

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok so I want to start doing my own prints for myself to put up on my wall and make a folder for my portfolio.

Could anyone recommend me a good photo printer?

Ive got about £200 to spend which is 349usd

I require it to be reliable,provides good quality if possible doesn't eat ink or ink doesn't cost much.

I really don't know anything about printers so any tips would be nice.:thumbup:

Oh forgot to add will be just for a4 prints anything bigger I think i'd get a print company to do.

I think your asking the impossible, all makes have good models to suit your budget but ink costs vary from one to another, I use epson r1800, A3, an excellent printer but 8 cartridges at up to £13.99 each is extortion, even online, epson inks still around 9 quid each.

I also have a canon bubblejet 6 ink printer, carts about 6 quid apiece, not cheap but also decent prints, steer clear of lexmark, I've had three all of which blew something after cartridge changes, HP also have a good one that is highly recommended but I dont know their ink prices.

Out of all of them the epson suits me best but the cost of ink for the model is ridiculous.

basically you have a choice of 3 brands, Epson, Canon and HP. all have relative advantages and disadvantages:

Epson: good quality, huge range of aftermarket cartridges including quadtone blacks for a dedicated B&W machine, but prone to blockages which means a new printer if you can't unblock the head!

Canon: good quality, good choice of 3rd party inks including quadtones. If the head blocks less expensive to replace than on Epson.

HP: good quality, if blocked just chuck the cartridge away and fit a new one, the heads in the cartridge. Dedicated HP made black and white ink cartridges. Less choice of 3rd party inks for the dedicated black inksets. From experience can drink ink when doing black and white only but the quality is excellent.

I recently bought a HP 7960 off e-bay then got 20 B&W cartridges for £33 on e-bay, each one good for 15-20 B&W A4 prints. Check out the HP 8450 on e-bay, uses the dedicated HP100 B&W cartridge and produces good prints.

At the end of the day people reccommend what works for them, it really isa a case of "you pays your money and takes your chance".

Cheers, Lol

At the end of the day people reccommend what works for them, it really isa a case of "you pays your money and takes your chance".

Great.. :lol:

Thanks for the pointers I think i'll do some research into some hps and canons :mrgreen:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back