Good Photoshop or is this really the D4?

haha Derrel I like you, i enjoy this little debate, btw i missed nothing. i accepted your argument and I have seen the end result of the incorporation of HD video into the cameras and believe in the results. i dont understand the camera business? maybe not the ins and outs. maybe not methodologically but im using my own rationale. i understand the need for out competing your competitors. i understand that the market doesn't dictate technological advances (but providing another HD standard wouldn't fall into that category per-se). i remember how intel with their i7s pushed the advancement and adoptions of DDR3 RAM. but intel is a processor company that dictates how the motherboards that incorporate the sockets for their processors are made thus they have the needed influence to do such great steps and push the market forth. i agree that the use of DSLR for video is going to increase, steadily and surely but only amongst independent film makers and TV-centered studios. but for the latter not completely and not entirely - look at the House episode and see how shallow the depth of field is. while acting as a back up unit or even finding its uses within high production Cinema projects as well - but you won't see the DSRL replacing the CCD camcorders. that I highly doubt not when you actually can afford to have these cameras.

i dont know why you like directly attacking my intelligence when i have not done anything of the sort with you with your 'Apparently you missed its arrival. ANd you clearly do not understand much about the camera business'. there was a shift. i never denied that.

btw aren't we borderline hijacking this thread? lol

what i am saying is, Nikon may be an odd-ball, but when 'need' and 'demand' does not factor in sure, they're an odd-ball bunch with an odd-ball set of products, but when these features can't be completely taken advantage of whats the point in the end for the market? now if with the release of the statement saying that feature is true and Samsung, Sony etc and the other HD medium platforms come forth and announce they will be increasing the HD 'cap' of 1080p on their TVs, on the Blu-Ray discs, then there will be an actual 'point' to it. we cant confuse the 'need' and 'demand' for something, for something that can't be fully utilised. we can't crop video, we can only compress it, lose the quality in it, actually i wonder if we did compress 2560x1152 video file to 1080p would we really? (care to comment on that? - im really curious to know) otherwise that is what usually comes from compressing a video.

i agree it can be a platform for advancing the market, bringing HD video recording to the masses but to be the device to redefine it? unlikely. Nikon i don't see them carrying that influence. but for example Sony could, with the release of a new AXXX camera alongside a Bravia TV set coupled with their role in Blu-Ray adoption. Nikon would need to arrange something to make that feature actually worth while. atm it would be a borderline gimmick.

also consider this: a 12MP sensor could easily output a 2560x1152 HD video file, so why did Nikon not easily consider doing so and outperform Canon now? the answer is in what ive been trying to tell you. im not saying you're wrong but you need to also see the merits in what im saying. we're both right, we're both arguing two sides of a coin. im merely focusing on the issue of moving towards a new 'standard' in HD at the hands of Nikon without the support of the rest of the market, there would really be no actual beneficial point.

btw for interesting random read: Why Our Civilization's Video Art and Culture is Threatened by the MPEG-LA

edit: if im wrong. ill be really surprised and im sure i won't be alone plus it would be interesting to see how the rest of the market reacts.

Last edited:
Just thought I'd cap this thread off -

"“Apologies to everyone for this misunderstanding. My creation of the image of (non-existent) Nikon D4 is a study for a product visualization on my portfolio. Personally, I am a Nikon fan and own Nikon D3s, so I tried to achieve visuals of Nikon’s new camera based on what I knew and liked about their latest products. Unfortunately, just before finishing the image, I sent it to few of my colleagues to discuss possible improvements and few moments later, these images showed up online. I apologize to everyone for causing these fake news.”"

Update from Nikon Rumors you can find his website here - CGPortfolio - Denisa Mrackova

had a feeling it was a render lol...

somewhat anti-climatic but expected.

Well the Nikon D4 images are fake. But the main discussion of this forum was video recording resolution. Here's a good chart to illustrate the resolutions achievable by a particular camera:
Red's 5k, 4k, and 3k Pro Cameras: What the Resolution Really Means

And the camera that can do it:
RED / Cameras

So if no TV or disc format can support more than 1080p, then why are the Red Cameras recording at 4k?

And also, as rpm stated, why can't video be cropped? I seriously want to know.

Brian nice find.

i never said a TV or disc format cant support it. the blu-ray could. the TVs cant atm. look around and see if you find any TVs that are above 1080p. thats why i said Nikon wouldn't do it, they dont have the influence to spark adoption, thats why i gave my Sony example as a company who could do it. but as for Red, its a dedicated camera first and foremost, like i said before, if anyone is going to change the market its going to be someone who is based in the market. I just argued that Nikon wouldn't be the one to redefine the market, they lack the influence, they lack the need to do so.

btw i did more research on that. those camera's are primarily used for IMAX production - essentially shrinking the huge IMAX cameras of pre 2009 to a more portable size. so its kinda on a diff league-market.

my argument thus still kinda stands. only one with the power to do so to change the medium of delivery is Sony amongst the DSLR group that could redefine the market. to summarize my argument that was fairly ignored (not by you) was that Nikon, as a DSLR company, will not be the one to redefine the market and lacks the influence to do so. only Sony has such influence and capacity.

but hey great link find tho. sparked a mini research on my part lol

Last edited:
Brian nice find.

i never said a TV or disc format cant support it. the blu-ray could. the TVs cant atm. look around and see if you find any TVs that are above 1080p. thats why i said Nikon wouldn't do it, they dont have the influence to spark adoption, thats why i gave my Sony example as a company who could do it. but as for Red, its a dedicated camera first and foremost, like i said before, if anyone is going to change the market its going to be someone who is based in the market. I just argued that Nikon wouldn't be the one to redefine the market, they lack the influence, they lack the need to do so.

btw i did more research on that. those camera's are primarily used for IMAX production - essentially shrinking the huge IMAX cameras of pre 2009 to a more portable size. so its kinda on a diff league-market.

my argument thus still kinda stands. only one with the power to do so to change the medium of delivery is Sony amongst the DSLR group that could redefine the market. to summarize my argument that was fairly ignored (not by you) was that Nikon, as a DSLR company, will not be the one to redefine the market and lacks the influence to do so. only Sony has such influence and capacity.

but hey great link find tho. sparked a mini research on my part lol
I've seen the RED Cameras being used for a TV commercial shoot around where I live. No doubt they are high end cameras, but they're also big, bulky, and expensive. I would think it would be in Nikon's or Canon's interest to allow higher resolution video in the DSLR's. So you'd get 12 MP recording in a small handheld DSLR. I have no doubt that we will see this in the near future -- maybe a few years. And the reason the camera manufacturers will do it is because it will be a major selling point, just like video in current DSLR's are. I'll admit when I bought my D90 the video was a selling feature for me even though I never use it as much as I thought. Point is, for example, if Nikon released a camera that can record at 12 MP they can advertise that the little handheld camera can capture IMAX quality video -- and perhaps sell more cameras.

As you pointed out, the RED camera shrunk IMAX cameras down in size and cost. Nikon could do the same. Of course, the DSLR won't replace dedicated cinema cameras because of a host of other missing features.

I agree Sony would probably be the company to implement this feature first because they already build high end video cameras and have the experience and R&D to do it.

fakefakefakefake

I've seen the RED Cameras being used for a TV commercial shoot around where I live. No doubt they are high end cameras, but they're also big, bulky, and expensive. I would think it would be in Nikon's or Canon's interest to allow higher resolution video in the DSLR's. So you'd get 12 MP recording in a small handheld DSLR. I have no doubt that we will see this in the near future -- maybe a few years. And the reason the camera manufacturers will do it is because it will be a major selling point, just like video in current DSLR's are. I'll admit when I bought my D90 the video was a selling feature for me even though I never use it as much as I thought. Point is, for example, if Nikon released a camera that can record at 12 MP they can advertise that the little handheld camera can capture IMAX quality video -- and perhaps sell more cameras.

As you pointed out, the RED camera shrunk IMAX cameras down in size and cost. Nikon could do the same. Of course, the DSLR won't replace dedicated cinema cameras because of a host of other missing features.

I agree Sony would probably be the company to implement this feature first because they already build high end video cameras and have the experience and R&D to do it.

but in the end those videos are compressed down to 1080p. eventually once it comes to their broadcasting/delivery. but in a few years as you say, by that point in time, id assume the HD standards would have been pushed above 1080p and with such advancement, what is IMAX now will be a completely new beast then. technology is never on a standstill. we can all agree on that but we also know who in the industry has the influence within their respective markets to redefine it and not simply advance it.

Nikon nor Canon are capable of carrying that sort of influence to push on a new HD standard for the masses. DSLR + (HD Video recording x res above 1080p) = a capacity that extends beyond the available platforms of the HD medium available to the public or what the everyday man would be able to work with. i dont know how many people have a computer that could handle a 3-5K video to view let alone edit/work with outside dedicated studios or companies that work in that field.

however as we both agree Sony could given their influence, capacity and resources. but like you said with every advancement in a feature, its an added selling point and another means of market penetration. it's great to see. more competition. its always best for the consumer in the end.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back