Good place to learn PS?

eilla05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have PSCS5 and no clue how to use most of the features it offers.

Can you recommend a good tutorial online? book? etc that i can learn from? I have checked my local bookstores and none of them have PS CS5 books.

figure out what you wanna do specifically and search on youtube.
there are many tutes on there.

theres also a ton of knowledge on here...ask and im sure it will be answered. :D

The most thorough book on PS5
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photoshop-CS5-Photographers-professional/dp/0240522001/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284586933&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Adobe Photoshop CS5 for Photographers: a professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC (9780240522005): Martin Evening: Books[/ame]

Another good book
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Photoshop-Digital-Photographers-Voices-Matter/dp/0321703561/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1284586933&sr=1-2"]Amazon.com: The Adobe Photoshop CS5 Book for Digital Photographers (Voices That Matter) (9780321703569): Scott Kelby: Books[/ame]

some youtube tutorials - FREE
Google

From this point on, remember that Google can be a good friend. ;)
Also remember that Rome was not built in a day.....

Go to www.lynda.com

Find the tutorials by Deke McClelland.

Start at the beginner course and work your way through each video lesson up to the end of the mastery course. Then groove on his LAB Color course and his sharpening course.

The BEST PS video tutorial series I have ever seen, by FAR.

The difference between a structured curriculum course like that and hunting and pecking your way through youtube videos and web pages picking up bits of knowledge should be obvious. It's the same reason college courses are laid out with a pre-defined curriculum that takes you through a logical learning path that starts with the basics you need to know in order to successfully move on to the more advanced stuff, and that's true no matter what the course is.

Just my opinion: If you REALLY want to seriously learn Photoshop and be proficient at it, take the course from Step 1 through to the end in a logical manner. If you just want to learn a few things to get by, hunt and peck your way through the tubes.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Scott Kelby has many PhotoShop books. I have the CS3 one and still use it for CS5. But Kelbytraining.com is a great resource and it might be costly but I love it! (Mmmm..... Hours of Joe McNally video :drool:)

Go to www.lynda.com

Start at the beginner course and work your way through each video lesson up to the end of the mastery course. Then groove on his LAB Color course and his sharpening course.

The difference between a structured curriculum course like that and hunting and pecking your way through youtube videos and web pages picking up bits of knowledge should be obvious. It's the same reason college courses are laid out with a pre-defined curriculum that takes you through a logical learning path that starts with the basics you need to know in order to successfully move on to the more advanced stuff, and that's true no matter what the course is.

Just my opinion: If you REALLY want to seriously learn Photoshop and be proficient at it, take the course from Step 1 through to the end in a logical manner. If you just want to learn a few things to get by, hunt and peck your way through the tubes.

Exactly what I needed! Thank yoU!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have floundered my way through PS and Lightroom now for months. I learned a snippet here and a snippet there as I read books and played with the programs. I finally broke down and tried Lynda.com and I am hooked. In a few hours of Lynda-time, I have learned so many things that I had never picked up (even though they were in the reading). It may seem costly at $250/year, but photography books aren't cheap either and this, for my way of learning anyway, is so efficient. I'm about 1/2 way through LR3 essential training. After that I will move on to CS5 essential training and then go onward and upward. There is a 7 day free trial available and you can do a lot in a week.

Go to www.lynda.com

I'll second that.
Go here and get a 7 day free trial. NO credit card info in needed.
lynda.com Online Training Library® | Trial Subscription

There are also Photoshop specific forum sites.

Most reactions

Back