Good price?

Discussion in 'General Shop Talk' started by maxalmon, Nov 11, 2008.

1. maxalmon

maxalmon TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    There is a local photographer with a studio offering to teach lighting classes, 1 eight hour day for $200 and a 2 day class for $300. It's one on one in his studio during a full day of shooting and he says that he will explain all the basics while offering hands on experience...Is this a decent price?....He's an established photographer with a steady clients

2. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    It's impossible for us to know how much you would get out of it...but the price doesn't sound unreasonable. Actual experience and hands-on learning can be invaluable.

3. maxalmon

maxalmon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking. Almost one of those post's where you know the answer but want validation from the experienced. I'm going to go ahead and take the class..

4. Holy Ghosted

Holy Ghosted TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    that price is not chump change. I would write down every Question you already have and take some examples of styles you would really love to be able to accomplish and take them to him and ask if you will get the answers you are looking for and more. This will let you know if it is worth it to you and if he is capable to teach what you want to learn.

5. maxalmon

maxalmon TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Great advice, thanks!

6. Village Idiot

Village Idiot No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That's fairly cheap in comparison to some classes, but on par with other lighting seminars/classes/workshops I've seen. Don Gianatti from www.lighting-essentials.com and Dave Hobby from www.strobist.com usually charge about $300ish and their classes are between one and two days with hands on learning.

Another good thing is to go to www.flickr.com/groups/strobist and see if there's any local strobist groups and meetups. If you can make it to those, it's almost guaranteed that there will be people there that will answer questions and let you use their lighting setups.