Good speedlight for D60....

Reyna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was thinking the SB-600 but if anyone has any other recommendations that would be wonderful. Nothing more expensive though b/c of my tight budget. TIA!!!

I guess for anyone to recommend anything you'd need to tell us what you need it for, but just the same...

First of all, I'm a non-pro, typical dad taking photos kind of person - with that said:

I love my SB-400 and sold both of my SB-600's.

In the future I may pick up another SB-600 for the rare occasion I'd need one, but for now I'm completely content with the SB-400 for all my needs. Heck, I've found the Gary Fong Puffer works very well at close range with just the pop up flash.

I was thinking the SB-600 but if anyone has any other recommendations that would be wonderful. Nothing more expensive though b/c of my tight budget. TIA!!!

Can't go wrong with the sb600. If you have a local used camera shop sometimes you can find a used one cheap. I found an sb800 for $250 a while back. Pete

Can't go wrong with the sb600. If you have a local used camera shop sometimes you can find a used one cheap. I found an sb800 for $250 a while back. Pete
Before or after they discontinued them?

I'd give $250 in a heartbeat for a SB-800 in good condition.

The SB-600 had some fairly significant limitations:
  1. Can only zoom to 85mm
  2. Doesn't have a sync cord recepticle (but neither does the D60)
  3. Can't be used off camera with a D60 without also purchasing an optical slave or radio trigger setup.
As mentioned, you don't say anything about how you plan on using the speedlight, though I suspect its for taking pictures of people.

If so, on the camera (and on the lens axis) is not the most desireable place to have the speedlight because it will result in fairly flat lighting.

Check out www.strobist.com for OCF (Off-Camera-Flash) and www.planetneil.com for on camera flash techniques.

If your planning on the using the speedlight on the camera the less expensive SB-400 might be the better way to go.

If you want to explore setting a speedlight manually (without the benefit of iTTL) check out the Vivitar 285HV (about $90 each, new). That would leave enough money to get a radio trigger set off eBay (under $50).

1. Can only zoom to 85mm
  2. Doesn't have a sync cord receptacle (but neither does the D60)
  3. Can't be used off camera with a D60 without also purchasing an optical slave or radio trigger setup.
1. Who cares?
2. Since the OP has a D60, why bother mentioning this?
3. Read #2 (above).

SB600 + cactus wireless system will do everything you will probably need.

Find or get a used 800. I think that is the equal to the 580ex II canon. Off camera sync cord. All the bells and whistles. Will be better in the long run.

Can't go wrong with the sb600. If you have a local used camera shop sometimes you can find a used one cheap. I found an sb800 for $250 a while back. Pete[/quote]Before or after they discontinued them?

I'd give $250 in a heartbeat for a SB-800 in good condition.

Before!
It was brand new in the box. Even had five rechargeable batts with it.:lmao:

Most reactions

Back