Good start?

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by Markw, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Markw

Markw No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    After reviewing my options, I am htinking about getting the D40, I knew I was going to get the D40 all along, but didnt know which lenses to get. What I was thinking was to get the D40 body, then get the Tamron 28-80 and the Tamron 70-300 lenses as my starter lenses. The way I figure it, this will give me a good range of "mms" to start out with opposed to the 18-55 stock lens. Will this be good? I plan to do alot of nature photography as well as family gatherings and such. This is why I decided on the large range.

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

2. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Well that 28mm is not going to be AS wide angle of a lens as the 28mm-80 will be. Also, it won't even be a 28mm because it will be cropped because of the D40 sensor and will actually be about a 45mm if my math is correct. Why not the 18-55 and 55-200?

~Michael~

3. 50two

50two TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    why not try brands other than nikon and canon D: i use an olympus and it was cheaper than a D40, and for a TWIN lens kit too. its never failed me :) ive never touched a nikon but my experiences with canon eos was quite... annoying. :(

4. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I want to use Nikon. Are you talking about the Nikon brand 18-55 and 55-200? What brand lens are you talking about here?

Thanks in advance.
    Mark

5. iflynething

iflynething TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I'm talking about Nikon's 18-55 and 55-200.

~Michael~

6. Mitch1640

Mitch1640 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    i got my d40 with the 18-55 and the 55-200 personally i dont really like the 18-55 and bought a tamron 70-300 so the 55-200 is pretty much useless right now. my dad just bought a tamron 18-200 for his camera and likes it very much. you could get that and the d40 and not have to worry about having 2 lenses.

7. manaheim

manaheim Jedi Bunnywabbit Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    FYI 28mm on a crop sensor is not very wide at all... don't plan on taking any skylines or landscapes. An 18mm just makes it.

8. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    So what does that mean for me? Stick with the kit lens or go for the Tamron? Oh and btw. if I were tyo get tha 70-300, I heasr the sigma is better, so I would most likely get that over the Tamron. Another option I was thinking is to just get the kit 18-55mm Nikon and get the Sigma 70-300.

Mark

9. BTilson

BTilson TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I have a D40 with the VR versions of the Nikkor 18-55 and the 55-200. Aside from having to change lenses fairly regularly, I *LOVE* the setup and have zero complaints with it. Only thing I would change would be if I could afford one of the fast (f/2.8 or so) telephoto zooms, but that's WAY out of my budget at the time being.

10. paigegreen916

paigegreen916 TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    sony is generally less expensive and i LOVE mine, plus, you can use the old Minolta lenses and they are always less expensive than nikon, cannon, or the rest.

11. Markw

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thanks all for the suggestions, but I am using Nikon.

Mark

12. cnvang

cnvang TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Hey Markw,
    Yeah I would stick with Nikon too, but I'm a Canon guy. Honestly what ever you feel is comfortable to you will be your best choice. With the lens they do sound great for a starter kit, but if your on a budget you can checkout www.keh.com for some used equipment if your interested. Now Tamron has zoom lens from 28-300 for about 380.00. This would eliminate you from having to switch lens. Up to you though. And like everyone said, 28mm ain't that wide of an angle. I would get somewhere about 14mm. And also it might be nice to have a macro/micro feature with the lens.