good studio setup

MarkXS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ok so im looking to get into some portrait and product photography and i decided im going to invest in a nice lighting setup. how much is it going to run me and what do i need for a decent setup?

anyone? i was kind of looking at the alienbees beginner package or the MPEX one.

what information did you find by searching this site?

p!nK

well alot of it confused me. im new to the off-camera flashes and stuff like that. i kinda figured from research i would need some stands, strobes, umbrellas, softboxes,etc.

"good studio setup"

A good studio setup for portaiture and product photography will run you about $20,000.

What's your budget?

ok let me rephrase my question. im 15 and on a major budget. im not looking to spend more than 600. what would i need for this?

Start here: Choosing the Right Studio Strobe StudioLighting.net

Also go to a the library and check out some books on studio lighting. Get a feel for what looks you are trying to accomplish, the methods it takes and the equipment needed to accomplish it. Then you will be able to research the different brands of gear you need and pick what works for you and your budget.

I bought second hand strobes for $100 two flashes at 200w each with stand and umbrellas, a backdrop stand on ebay and a paper roll from my local photographic store, this all cost me no more than $600, but I got lucky on the strobes their rrp in $1200, just check ebay every week that's what I did and got very lucky

For a low budget of $600 tops, eBay and second hand Speedotron equipment is a good bet. You could easily buy a pretty decent amount of equipment for $600 or less.

I'm right there with you on wanting strobist equipment on a budget (I'm unemployed lol), so I've been doing some research. Here's what I came up with:

Flash(es):
Vivitar 285HV $89.95 each (I want 2) fully manual flash, no P-TTL, no fancy stuff, just light on demand.

Remote trigger(s):
eBay radio triggers Cheap and not as reliable as Pocket Wizards brand, but a HELLUVA lot cheaper and good enough to learn the art of lighting.

Stand(s) & Bracket(s):
This kit if/when it's in stock

or by the piece with a bit more quality in the stand...

Manfrotto stand
Umbrella Bracket
45 inch Shoot-through/reflector Umbrella

And that's it, I think lol. All for a bit over $300 for 2 strobes. Not including background equipment. That's a whole other post.

It's a FANTASTIC resource for learning to light with flash(es). Lots of how-to's, assignments, etc. It's like a free on-line class. I'm in NO way affiliated with the site, I just started reading it a few days ago and can't stop, it's chock full of information for free.

Hope this helps you!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Instead of the blog start HERE:

MPEX Strobist Kits

I'm on a budget and I'm going to get one of these setups. Ultra cheap, and portable.

UPDATE: I see you already mentioned them in your second post.

I'd say a strobist set up is not the most cost effective way to approach setting up a portrait/product studio, getting used regular studio strobes like Derrel suggested would.

just picked up the calumet genesis 200ws 2 light kit. very happy so far. the stands are generous, pretty well built and the 10' height is appreciated. umbrellas are more than adequate as well. all in all i'd have to say it's a great starter kit. thats $400 (plus tax depending where you live). Toss in some Cactus triggers and you're still well under $500. You can almost fit a light meter into that $600 budget too.

Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit - CF0502K1 -

if you wanna shoot iso 100 and f/11 you may be maxing them out, but iso200 and f/8 was about 1/3 power.

Most reactions

Back