good studio setup

would you guys recommend getting actual strobes or the 285s?

The 285's are strobes.

Are you asking if "studio strobes" or "hot-shoe strobes" are better?

If so, I have no input nor experience there, sorry. I wouldn't mind hearing the opinions on both too though, but my common sense tells me that for simple 1 to 4 person portraits, either is good, but it seems the studio strobes come into play when you need more power and/or bigger light (stage lit shots, car shots, large group photos, etc.). I don't know, just a guess.

The 285's are strobes.

Are you asking if "studio strobes" or "hot-shoe strobes" are better?

If so, I have no input nor experience there, sorry. I wouldn't mind hearing the opinions on both too though, but my common sense tells me that for simple 1 to 4 person portraits, either is good, but it seems the studio strobes come into play when you need more power and/or bigger light (stage lit shots, car shots, large group photos, etc.). I don't know, just a guess.
yeah i was asking if i should get studio strobes or the 285s.

so im either going to buy this package
Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit - CF0502K1 -
and would i need to purchase anything else with this?

or...
get the 2 285s with umbrellas and stands and all that stuff.

yeah i was asking if i should get studio strobes or the 285s.

so im either going to buy this package
Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit - CF0502K1 -
and would i need to purchase anything else with this?

or...
get the 2 285s with umbrellas and stands and all that stuff.

Personally, I'd go with the 285's and such that I listed. It's a tiny bit cheaper and wireless (unless you get upgraded radio triggers, then it's a wash on price). And has the added bonus (for me) of being a bit more portable and smaller in size, albeit not as powerful as studio strobes...then again, do you really need that much power if you're like me, shopping for your first kit? lol

As far as what else you'd need, from reading the "what's included" list, the only thing I can think of is IF you want to go wireless, you'll need triggers. They sell the accessory triggers for like $59, so basically the same price as eBay or cactus triggers. But if you don't want wireless, everything to begin shooting is included.

look at cowboystudio stuff on amazon.
multiple strobe kits for sub$200.

is it elinchrom?....no.
will it work, and save you money?...yep.

i might be doing this one soon.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-Photo-Studio-Monolight-Lighting/dp/B001NY3U40/ref=wl_it_dp_o?ie=UTF8&coliid=ID4PKDVU2UF91&colid=NVXK51QMXC3P"]Amazon.com: CowboyStudio 320 Watt Photo Studio Monolight Flash Lighting Kit - 2 Studio Flash/Strobe, 2 Softboxes, 1…[/ame]

*edit*
i will likely opt for paper BGs instead of muslin.

If portability is something you want, get speedlights.

If not, get studio strobes.

The Genesis 200 kit is a good starting kit but the minimum light power for that kinfd of light. The Genesis 400 2 light kit would be more usefull.

A strobist set up actually costs more in the long run because it takes several speedlights (and more grip gear) to equal the light output of a single studio strobe.

look at cowboystudio stuff on amazon.
multiple strobe kits for sub$200.

is it elinchrom?....no.
will it work, and save you money?...yep.

i might be doing this one soon.
Amazon.com: CowboyStudio 320 Watt Photo Studio Monolight Flash Lighting Kit - 2 Studio Flash/Strobe, 2 Softboxes, 1…

*edit*
i will likely opt for paper BGs instead of muslin.

Hey now...that's a great alternative. Thanks for the link!

If portability is something you want, get speedlights.

If not, get studio strobes.

The Genesis 200 kit is a good starting kit but the minimum light power for that kinfd of light. The Genesis 400 2 light kit would be more usefull.

A strobist set up actually costs more in the long run because it takes several speedlights (and more grip gear) to equal the light output of a single studio strobe.

Ahh, yes, that makes sense.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm right there with you on wanting strobist equipment on a budget (I'm unemployed lol), so I've been doing some research. Here's what I came up with:

Flash(es):
Vivitar 285HV $89.95 each (I want 2) fully manual flash, no P-TTL, no fancy stuff, just light on demand.

Remote trigger(s):
eBay radio triggers Cheap and not as reliable as Pocket Wizards brand, but a HELLUVA lot cheaper and good enough to learn the art of lighting.

Stand(s) & Bracket(s):
This kit if/when it's in stock

or by the piece with a bit more quality in the stand...

Manfrotto stand
Umbrella Bracket
45 inch Shoot-through/reflector Umbrella

And that's it, I think lol. All for a bit over $300 for 2 strobes. Not including background equipment. That's a whole other post.

It's a FANTASTIC resource for learning to light with flash(es). Lots of how-to's, assignments, etc. It's like a free on-line class. I'm in NO way affiliated with the site, I just started reading it a few days ago and can't stop, it's chock full of information for free.

Hope this helps you!

I'm currently using that same setup 285HV on eBay triggers and Lighstands; and it is Awesome (considering the price overall) I mean this is not a $20k setup; but once you get the hang of it and its limitations you can get your work done right!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm currently using that same setup 285HV on eBay triggers and Lighstands; and it is Awesome (considering the price overall) I mean this is not a $20k setup; but once you get the hang of it and its limitations you can get your work done right!

Good to know! Oh, and hey...nice car! (Needs a K swap though :lol: ) lol

I'm right there with you on wanting strobist equipment on a budget (I'm unemployed lol), so I've been doing some research. Here's what I came up with:

Flash(es):
Vivitar 285HV $89.95 each (I want 2) fully manual flash, no P-TTL, no fancy stuff, just light on demand.

Remote trigger(s):
eBay radio triggers Cheap and not as reliable as Pocket Wizards brand, but a HELLUVA lot cheaper and good enough to learn the art of lighting.

Stand(s) & Bracket(s):
This kit if/when it's in stock

or by the piece with a bit more quality in the stand...

Manfrotto stand
Umbrella Bracket
45 inch Shoot-through/reflector Umbrella

And that's it, I think lol. All for a bit over $300 for 2 strobes. Not including background equipment. That's a whole other post.

It's a FANTASTIC resource for learning to light with flash(es). Lots of how-to's, assignments, etc. It's like a free on-line class. I'm in NO way affiliated with the site, I just started reading it a few days ago and can't stop, it's chock full of information for free.

Hope this helps you!

Is there a reason that everyone first goes to the 285's??

If your looking for hotshoe speedlights why not go for the nikon's in the same price range? (ie sb24 or 25)
The nikon has a greater range of vari-power?? am i right??

Just wondering/suggestion to go for the nikon if your going to do the hot shoe thing :D

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Is there a reason that everyone first goes to the 285's??

Personally, I'm going with the Viv's because they're proven work horses that are more durable than a Timex lol

Nah, I don't know, I've just read a lot about the 285's and less about the others. Being a Pentax (or any non-Canikon) shooter, I usually skip anything that says Canon or Nikon, could be why I haven't noticed talk of the sb24's & 25's.

Good to know! Oh, and hey...nice car! (Needs a K swap though :lol: ) lol

Thanks a lot...it spun a bearing a few weeks ago...bought a daily...i'mconsidering options at the moment... B or K swap..or sell and buy a DC5 :D

BTW Vivitars FTW ; Best Slaves Ever easy to use cheap and somewhat reliable

Most reactions

New Topics

Back