Good Vest for Street Shooting

kdthomas

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'd like something with a little bit of padding in the pockets ... Essentially, I just would like to get an idea of what specific products folks are using out there, especially working photographers.

Thanks as always,
--Kerry

I wear a nondescript dark jacket with big pockets. IMO, wearing anything 'photographic' would be like stalking deer wearing a clown suit with bells on one's toes.

I wear my work pants, which have cargo pockets. If for some reason i need more space, I have a fanny pack (ugh) that I sometimes wear as well.
much more subtle than a vest.

What do you want carry with you when street shooting?

When I'm on assignments that don't call for a 70-200 and I'm trying to go light, I'm also a big fan of a jacket with big pockets. Denim jackets usually have2 large interior pockets. That's my favorite.

I have a very well worn Tenba, but it's not something I would use for street shooting. It's typically reserved for run& gun events, sports, and similar events. As Lew indicated, it's about as subtle as a kick in the bollocks. Cargo pants, plain back-pack or sling bag, or a jacket with large pockets will serve you better for this sort of work in my opinion.

The phrase 'street shooting' is too broad. On those rare occasions when I try this sort of thing I carry a camera with a lens mounted, and that's it.

I get that other people have different needs, up to and including multiple bodies, a fleet of lenses, a flash, a monopod, whatever.

Where do you fall?

I shoot a lot of Street. Over the years I have developed a bit of a philosophy about shooting Street. One of my attractions to photography and to Street, is the challenge. There is always something new to learn and always the challenge of capturing the exceptional image. For me, one of the challenges of Street is not to camouflage, be stealthy or sneaky when shooting but to mentally blend into the street.

Part of my philosophy is to shoot Street with respect. The Street isn't a zoo for the amusement of outsiders. It is the front yard, the backyard, it is where people work, play, eat, socialize ... it is their home. I feel that if I am respectful to the the Street then the Street would be inclined to treat me similarly. Dress is the first step in that thinking. I dress as I would when I was a news photog ... collared shirt (no tank or tees and no writing or images), long pant (nice jeans or khakis), closed toe shoe (no sandals). My prefered shooting is with two camera and a bag and that's what I take to the Street. I shoot with the viewfinder. I want to give the impression that I am a professional, that I have a reason to be there, that I am working ... just like themselves.

A bit of a long winded way of getting to dress, but I just felt greater detail was required. Again, for me the trick in shooting Street is to blend in, to be a part of the Street, to be no different than the lamp post or news stand. (I'm not judging those who shoot from the hip or differently than I. We all see differently and we all shoot differently.)

As to vests, I have a Domke vest. I use sometimes use for events, especially long events when I'm on my feet shooting for hours at a time.

My philosophy towards a vest is KISS. I've seen vests with more pockets than Carter has liver pills. They have a dedicated pocket for each piece of gear you could imagine.

A pocket for filters. A pocket for memory cards. A pocket for a UWA lens. A pocket for the kit lens. A pocket for your 70-200. A pocket for your cell phone. A pocket for lens cleaning kit. A pocket for light meter. A pocket for lens hoods. A pocket for your spare batteries. A pocket for a hydration system. A pocket for model release forms. A pocket for ad infinitum. A pocket for ad nauseum. Load one of those up and it looks like you're headed to Kenya for a 2-week safari.

My vest has two large pockets which I utilize for a lens or two. I rarely take more than two lenses to start with. Little stuff like memory cards, batteries, etc go in the small pocket. And my cell phone in the other small pocket. Travel light & nimble is my mantra.

I'd rather spend the time clicking the shutter than digging through 15 pockets trying to find something I just KNOW I have with me.

Something understated that doesn't clash with my jacket.

I wear a nondescript dark jacket with big pockets. IMO, wearing anything 'photographic' would be like stalking deer wearing a clown suit with bells on one's toes.

Wait ... you mean you're *NOT* supposed to do that? I thought the deer would find it funny, and draw them in to entertained and amused with family safe pratfalls and humor, then BANG!!!

I always wondered why that didn't work ... Hmmmm :)

My street setup.

bumbling-photographer.jpg

That guy needs a camera caddy. Really.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back