good website opening page

Osmer_Toby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
not sure if this is on the right board- mods feel free to move if you think it should be

i hired a loser of a webmaster to create a good site for my business, but he has dragged his feet for almost a year now, still almost nothing to show for the money i paid him. so, i'm about to strike off on my own. i'm pretty good with dreamweaver, but i need ideas for a real good opening page to the website, and maybe some thoughts on the layout. i scanned some sites for the businesses in my geographic area, and none of them really grabbed me like i want my site to grab the attention of the reader/viewer. thus, i need some good examples-

anyone got a favorite site for layout and or artistic merit that you can suggest for inspiration?

my client base is typical- weddings, portraits, etc...

My personal preference is for a very simple, uncluttered look. I think it helps emphasize the photos. Also, since I'm not using anything fancy, it's easy for me to create and maintain my own site.

I'd go with very simple to. If it's a personal site I think it's ok to have it a little confusing, people adjust to it. But with a business site you want people to be able to find what they want instantly. I think simple sites look more professional as well. Few graphics and plenty of detailed text.
Get a piece of paper and draw on it designs that you like. Once you get one or two you'll probably find lots come flooding. Then when it comes to making it you've got something to work from.
The 800x600 rule is one I work to as well. That seems to be the default for most computers and not everyone who will be visiting your site will know that you can change stuff like that. Another reason for keeping it simple. You'll get visitors who aren't fully up to speed with new designs and sites, so basic helps them feel comfortable.

I echo all that was said here. I have one imagine on my opening page (that I rotate every few months) and then my menu is on the left hand side, logo above it. Make sure that your logo is a link back to your main page for easy navigation. As long as your site showcases your photography you can't go wrong. I've seen a lot of photographer websites that get very cluttered and it's hard to see past that to their work.

As long as your site showcases your photography you can't go wrong.
That and your pricing and contant info. If I'm looking for a photographer I'm sure to have a budget in mind. If I can't see how much the guy charges I can't decide if I will even consider him. I hate it when sites don't show the costs of everything.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back