Good Wide-Angle Lens for My Wishlist (for Canon Digital Rebel)

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by astrostu, Sep 24, 2006.

1. astrostu

astrostu Guest

I'm working on my ongoing wishlist and I want a good wide-angle lens (see my sig line for the lenses I have) for my Canon Digital Rebel XT. From what I've seen, I have two options:

~ Canon EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 ($690)
    ~ Sigma EX DC HSM 10-20 mm f/4-5.6 ($500)

Obviously, the Sigma looks like the more likely choice if anyone's going to get me one. My questions are two-fold - (1) is the Sigma lens worse than the Canon? and (2) is there a good wide-angle lens that I overlooked?

Thanks!

2. jack lumber

jack lumber TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
  3. nakedyak

nakedyak TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    the sigma is cheaper, the canon is the best, but tamron and tokina also make wide angle options, so check those out too

4. astrostu

astrostu Guest

nakedyak - Looking at a comparison of the Tamron, Tokina, and Sigma lenses, the Sigma still looks more attractive. It has that "just extra" 1-2 mm shorter over the other two, it's 100 gm lighter than the Tokina, and it looks to be about $70 cheaper than the Tamron (probably 'cause the Tamron goes down to f/3.5.

5. JIP

JIP No longer a newbie, moving up!

This is all you need to know ti judge the quality of these lenses

6. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

actually, thats all you need to know.
    dont buy third party lenses. period.

7. bitteraspects

bitteraspects TPF Noob!

bHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

somehow i doubt that.

but also, keep in mind, a review is nothing more than one persons opinion. as this response is nothing more then one persons opinion. ultimately, the canon lense is made specificly to go with your canon body. and most pros will tell you the same thing, stick with canon. but your best bet is to go down to a store, try them both (when aplicable), then make the decision for yourself. or if money is a factor, decide based on that. (but even then, youre probably better off saving for the better lense)

-aspects

8. Big Mike

Big Mike I am Big, I am Mike Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There are some Sigma/Tamron etc. lenses that are better than some Canon/Nikon lenses...and there are plenty of Canon/Nikon lenses that are better. The best thing to do...is to get opinions from many sources and make your own tests if you can. A good camera store will let you try a lens...or at least let you return it, if change your mind.

9. astrostu

astrostu Guest

One reason that I'm considering an off-brand is that in a few years I plan on buying a professional-level camera (vs. the "prosumer" one I have now) and this particular Canon lens only will work on the 20D and Rebels, so I'm trying to keep my options open in that respect.

10. JIP

That's why I pointed out the maximum apertures in my post If you are comparing a Canon 3.5-4.5 to a Sigma 4-5.6 or even a Canon 4-5.6 the 3.5-4.5 will win in quality every time you need to know what you are comparing and some less experienced people might not know that criteria (maximum aperture) for comparing lenses.

11. thebeginning

thebeginning TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    astro - i'd definitely check out the sigma. if money isn't an issue, you might as well get the canon as it's a very good lens and has good focusing and color. the sigma has many good high points too though...check out photozone.de's reviews of it and some of the reviews on www.fredmiranda.com/reviews.

not quite. most people will stop their ultra wides down to f8 or so anyway, so the max aperture isn't a big deal...especially since they are both close and not that great (the max ap).

reviews might be opinions in some cases, but the sites and organizations that do full lense tests are going by pure mtf data and perfomance quality, not 'opinions'. take photozone.de for example. very indepth reviews, very reliable, very well done. they say that on the wide in the sigma is indeed sharper than the canon. sharpness isn't everything, but the sigma is a good buy, as is the tokina 12-24. Also, 'most pros' don't always say stick with canon to everyone. they may use canon, but that doesnt mean they can't suggest another brand as well. I'm a 'pro' and can easily suggest several third party lenses, even to experienced shooters.

actually, this is all you need to know:

stop trying to give advice.

12. JIP

So theretically what you are saying is the Canon 10-22 3.5-4.5 would be the same quality of lens as (I don't know if this is a real lens this is just for the sake of arguement) a 10-22 2.8 if you don't use the 2.8

wow! if that is true I wasted alot of money on my 2.8 lenses