Goodbye Photoshop

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they'd come out with a photographer's package - Photoshop & Lightroom for $20/month, that, I could probably go for, maybe not happily, but I could swallow it.

I own PSE 10. I'm happy with it. It does everything I need it to do. I upgraded from PSE 9, which I also owned. There were some cool things about PSE 10 that I liked, but did not "need". PSE 9 was gettin' the job done for me nicely.

If I "needed" what a subscription would offer, I might sign on for something like this. The fact is I don't. So, in a nutshell, I don't really care what they do. It's really not going to affect me...

How was "the customer" screwed?

[snip]

You say we "screwed the customer". Care to explain how? As a result of the changes we made, we garnered a bigger market share (meaning we had more customers) and increased our dealer base (which means we made our products available to more consumers). A large chuck of the increased revenue went into dealer events, which brought consumers into their stores (which is good for the dealers). Even more chunks of revenue went into product development, which offered a greater selection to the buying public (which is good for them).

So who got screwed?

Dealers were pissed.

Customers were pissed.

No, actually you said that. Pissed / screwed / same difference. I suspect if one were to ask them they would say the same thing.

Seeing as you're in Nashville, I suspect I know what example you're going to give.

But don't leave us guessing...
You would be wrong since it wasn't a company in Nashville.

I said that I "Could" state an example, but it's just another boring tale that isn't worth repeating unless you insist.

No, actually you said that. Pissed / screwed / same difference. I suspect if one were to ask them they would say the same thing.

Well, we could argue semantics all day.

The reality is that, in my case, 'the "big business" I worked for did exactly what "big business" needs to do: Increase market share and revenue. Period. In doing so, we got more customers who previously did not use our products. We made them available to a larger audience.

I'd love for you to explain to me how that's a bad thing...

I said that I "Could" state an example, but it's just another boring tale that isn't worth repeating unless you insist.

Oh, okay, right. ..

:lol:

Being angry is not the same thing as being actually disadvantaged.

In the case of a musical instrument company, I can certainly imagine being angry that such-and-such a guitar is no longer within my budget. Am I screwed? No, I can still buy an $800 guitar, I just can't buy THAT guitar for $800.

Nobody is actually being screwed here, Adobe isn't a monopoly, not even remotely.

As far as I can tell, you'd have to be the latter in order to be the former. Otherwise, "being angry" is nothing but wasted, meaningless energy...

In the case of a musical instrument company, I can certainly imagine being angry that such-and-such a guitar is no longer within my budget. Am I screwed? No, I can still buy an $800 guitar, I just can't buy THAT guitar for $800.

Actually, it had very little to do with pricing. Some models saw a price increase, others actually saw a price decrease.

It had to do with how they were built, serialized, and stocked at the dealer level. You would be amazed at what people wet themselves over.

And we didn't make too many $800.00 guitars...

;)

Nobody is actually being screwed here, Adobe isn't a monopoly, not even remotely.

Adobe has the premiere photography software in many ways. They may not be a "monopoly" per definition, but what they do impacts most hobbyists/pros quite directly because their software IS the standard right now.

......Nobody is actually being screwed here, Adobe isn't a monopoly, not even remotely.

:thumbup:

Absolutely. The following photo is 100% Adobe free and produced with software that I believe outperforms Adobe products. I won't be subscribing and I won't be screwed.

Joe

$dogwood.jpg

Raw conversion with Capture One 7 and 16 bit RGB photo finished (cloning and some local burning) using PhotoLine.

And I think we've reached a point where we are arguing in circles and getting all nit picky at things. Time to take a breath of fresh air.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back