GOOGLE is now using webP format you will need this codec

Didereaux

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
People using good ol' do no evil GOOGLE to store their photos will find that when you DL what you uploaded as a jpg is now a webP extension. In order to view them as you have been you will need to DL this windows codec It is an easy install.
WebP | Google Developers

added update info thanks to Advanced Photo. ONLY your recently uploaded pics are converted to webP, the older ones are still jpgs (for now)

Last edited:
That's strange. I just went into Google Drive and found some Jpegs, but the one I downloaded was still a Jpeg. I am on a Mac, so I wonder if Google is only changing images on Windows.

I also tried downloading a couple of images on my iMac and they were certainly JPEGs. Maybe iOs Sierra already has the required codex in place.

Just a thought, but I seem to recall an option sometime back where Google were offering unlimited image storage if you agreed to store them in a compressed format that was claimed would still deliver good quality. I declined, but wonder if the original poster accepted somehow when the message appeared. This all happened several months back and I think I saw it when I purchased a new Android phone.

I believe it only applies to images uploaded after the converter was in place, not to old images you have stored, that would take forever for them to convert everything on all their servers right away.

I just tried it with a new image and then downloaded it shortly afterwards. It was exactly the same.

I simply dragged a Jpeg image to my Google drive folder via the web browser and it uploaded automatically. After a few minutes I selected the image and hit the download button, but the downloaded file was identical to the one I uploaded.

I simply dragged a Jpeg image to my Google drive folder via the web browser and it uploaded automatically. After a few minutes I selected the image and hit the download button, but the downloaded file was identical to the one I uploaded.
OK, but did you look at the properties of it while it was in the box?

I've just looked at the details of the image on Google drive and it appears unchanged from the upload. I can wait and check it again in the morning in case there is a delay.

No need, it probably isn't the same everywhere in the world.

I believe it only applies to images uploaded after the converter was in place, not to old images you have stored, that would take forever for them to convert everything on all their servers right away.

ahh that makes sense.

BINGO!!!!! that was EXACTLY it. Only our very latest uploads were converted to the webP format. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most reactions

Back