Gorgeous Music

Discussion in 'Off Topic Chat' started by clarinetJWD, Dec 4, 2005.

1. clarinetJWD

clarinetJWD The Naked Spammer Staff Member

Allright... So most of you won't have a clue about what I'm talking about, but trust me. I just listened to Richard Wagner's "Prelude to Tristan und Isolde" for the first time in a long while, and it is one of the most gorgeous pieces. Ever. If you haven't heard it, go find it and listen to it. For those of you who know what I'm talking about...you know what I'm talking about ;)

2. Verbal

Verbal $100

Sorry, I just listened to Everything in its Right Place by Radiohead, and that's about all that can fit in me head. :mrgreen:

3. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos NOT OK to edit
    Oh yes, I know what you are talking about! Though there is lots by Wagner that does not quite reach me, some of his pieces do (the less bombastic ones). Ahhh. Classical music! Quite my thing!

4. Hertz van Rental

Hertz van Rental TPF Noob!

Not a Wagner fan I'm afraid. Much prefer Mahler and J S Bach and the 'moderns' like Glass and Cage.
    But then again early music by the likes of Guillaume de Machaut.... Mmmmmmmm........

5. Verbal

Verbal $100

Mozart and Vivaldi tickle my fancy, but I also love Bach and select Beethoven pieces.

6. LaFoto

LaFoto Just Corinna in real life Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Those who feel a liking for Bach and select pieces by Beethoven should for once check out Mendelssohn-Bartholdy... I think you will like his music, too.

I am looking forward to the time after 11 December (performance of Bach's Christmas Oratorio, Cantatas 1 - 3), for we shall then begin to practise the Fauré-Requiem for the performance on 31 March. That will be GOOD.

7. clarinetJWD

And Schubert. Schubert is awesome.

Hertz--I'm actually the same way, Mahler and the modern guys ;) But Tristan und Isolde is just amazing...

But not quite as amazing as Mahler's 2nd Symphony

8. Mitica100

Mitica100 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Thread I like! Good taste, people! Have any of you listened to Gorecki's 3rd Symphony? Great piece, especially on the recording with Dawn Upshaw singing.

As for Mahler, yeah, he's been one of my fave composers as well, I love his 6th Symphony.

On a Wagner subject... About 10 years ago we did the Ring cycle down here. That's a long momma! I remember Gottedamerung (sp?) being God dam' long. :mrgreen: Heck, we were allowed bathroom breaks in the middle of the performance (we were in the pit) and even having snacks and drinks (no alcohol though, damn it!) with us. We survived it, somehow.

Yes, the Prelude is one of Wagner's finest moments, as well as Siegfried Idyll, which he wrote for his wife. Another fine example of lush orchestration.

9. 'Daniel'

'Daniel' TPF Noob!

Classical music, meh.

The thing I like most about music is the poetry you get, classical music doesn't do it for me.

10. clarinetJWD

I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Goreki, though I've gotten a few recommendations, so as soon as I pay my library fines, I'll check it out. Mahler = :thumbup:
    Götterdämmerung is long. Very long, but it's also very, very good. I wish I preformed the Ring, but our school can't come up with the singers needed for a 4 1/2 hour long Wagnerian opera...I wonder why... :D