Gorillapod SLR-Zoom?

ToddB

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.autocrossforum.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I'm going on vacation in about 3 weeks to San Francisco and will be spending 4 days in Yosemite. I want to take my tripod with me (cheap one that I've had for a while) but it is just too big. We will be doing quite a bit of hiking and the thought of having to lug that thing the whole time isn't too appealing.

So I started looking for alternatives and found the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom. Small, lightweight and fits in my camera bag (Lowepro Slingshot 200AW.) I will be mounting a Nikon D80 with either my 50, 28-205 or 70-300 on it.

Has anybody used the SLR-Zoom with a similar outfit? And can anybody recommend?

Thanks in advance.

ToddB

So I'm going on vacation in about 3 weeks to San Francisco and will be spending 4 days in Yosemite. I want to take my tripod with me (cheap one that I've had for a while) but it is just too big. We will be doing quite a bit of hiking and the thought of having to lug that thing the whole time isn't too appealing.

So I started looking for alternatives and found the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom. Small, lightweight and fits in my camera bag (Lowepro Slingshot 200AW.) I will be mounting a Nikon D80 with either my 50, 28-205 or 70-300 on it.

Has anybody used the SLR-Zoom with a similar outfit? And can anybody recommend?

Thanks in advance.

ToddB

I've looked at it, never used it and would probably only use it for a remote flash or something like that. Looks far to spindly and weak for me to want to put $2000 - $3000 worth of gear on.

Have you considered a monopod. Something in say the 4 section kind. You could also use it as a walking stick while hiking.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...otto_680B_680B_4_Section_Compact_Monopod.html

Only 20" long folded.

I was going to suggest a monopod as well. I've not heard anything good about Gorillapods with any weighted gear on them.

Yep, I've thought about a monopod, and have it on my list of wants.

I read a couple of negative reviews on TPF about the gorillapods but was hoping that maybe they improved them. I guess that isn't the case.

What I was thinking about with the gorillapod was for night exposures. I'm planning on trying to get a shot like the Photo of the Month winner. That is one of my favorite vantage point of San Fransisco. I was also going to try to get some night landscapes of Yosemite during some night hikes that we have planned.

So, if not the gorillapod, is there a compact tripod that anyone would suggest?

On a related note, does anyone know if there is a combo tripod/monopod? Where the center post is removable to act as a monopod. It would have to be stable. Not like the Bogen Monos with support legs. Those look about as stable as a drunken college student trying to walk home.

I would really be interested in something like that.

Not like the Bogen Monos with support legs. Those look about as stable as a drunken college student trying to walk home.
That kills my next option. :lol:

I adjusted the title to try to solicit more options for me to consider.

Kundalini - Do you know if those monos are stable at all? I've seen the Trek-Tech mono/tri/walking stick in Peace Camera but it didn't look all that stable. If you have any experience with that one or one like it, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

ToddB

i would think that the gorrila pod would not be staple enough to use for long exposures.

I was given a gorillapod for Christmas. The smallest one is pretty useless. The mid-sized one still bobbles a lot so you have to shoot using a remote or timer. The Zoom is getting pretty big but I bet it still bobbles when touched. A gorillapod can help you get interesting perspectives but it is not substitute for a tripod! A tripod is going to be much more useful than a gorillapod which is limited to special situations.

My $.02,
Doug

Kundalini - Do you know if those monos are stable at all? I've seen the Trek-Tech mono/tri/walking stick in Peace Camera but it didn't look all that stable. If you have any experience with that one or one like it, I would love to hear it.
Sorry, I have no personal experience with one, but for a hundred bucks, it seemed like a viable option. It will not replace a tripod, but my understanding, it gives a sturdier base than just the mono.

An aside note. The prick behind the counter at Peace Camera lost the sale for a D300. I just went down the street to Cameron Village and got one there instead.

I was given a gorillapod for Christmas. The smallest one is pretty useless. The mid-sized one still bobbles a lot so you have to shoot using a remote or timer. The Zoom is getting pretty big but I bet it still bobbles when touched. A gorillapod can help you get interesting perspectives but it is not substitute for a tripod! A tripod is going to be much more useful than a gorillapod which is limited to special situations.

My $.02,
Doug

he's right. they should be called "gorillapod flash". they make great flash stands/clamps but are useless as tripods. if you set a camera on it, and set it on a flat surface, you can flick the camera and watch it bob like a spring hahahah.

OK, so the Gorillapod is off the list.

Any suggestions on a compact, lightweight, sturdy, relatively inexpensive tripod? It needs to be able to travel well as a carryon and doesn't need to be all that tall. I'm 6' tall but my back still works and I can bend over to frame the shot if need be. Plus, my wife is 5' 2", so she can get it done if I can't.

So let's hear it. What do you recommend?

I bought this one. I was unsure what I really needed and at the time I did not have those long, heavy lenses. Specs say it will hold 2.2lbs (1Kg), but I have loaded more weight on it without any problems so far.

It folds down to 15.4" and only weighs 10oz. $32. I have a Lowepro slingshot bag and it fits on a side loop quite nicely.

I purchased the gorillapod zoom model a couple of months ago and returned it. Put my 40D on withe 70-200 f/2.8L IS like the picture and it was not stable. Even on a table top it had issues satying steady without drooping significantly. On branches and stuff it did a tad better. You can just jam it into the nooks to lock it in place. Better off with a monopod. I love my Manfrotto neotech. It weighs likes nothing.

I bought my tripod for my camcorder for less than $50 (I think it was $39 at KMart)and it has removable head (whatever it called). It raised to 170cm. Unfortunately it is not video camera tripod, so I now use it for my camera. It is Hanimex brand.
I bought the monopod for $33 from ebay, it also has detachable head.

I bought the cheap pod because this nikon d40 is light camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back