Gorillapod SLR-Zoom?

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by ToddB, Mar 7, 2008.

1. ToddB

ToddB TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    So I'm going on vacation in about 3 weeks to San Francisco and will be spending 4 days in Yosemite. I want to take my tripod with me (cheap one that I've had for a while) but it is just too big. We will be doing quite a bit of hiking and the thought of having to lug that thing the whole time isn't too appealing.

So I started looking for alternatives and found the Gorillapod SLR-Zoom. Small, lightweight and fits in my camera bag (Lowepro Slingshot 200AW.) I will be mounting a Nikon D80 with either my 50, 28-205 or 70-300 on it.

Has anybody used the SLR-Zoom with a similar outfit? And can anybody recommend?

Thanks in advance.

ToddB

2. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I've looked at it, never used it and would probably only use it for a remote flash or something like that. Looks far to spindly and weak for me to want to put $2000 - $3000 worth of gear on.

Have you considered a monopod. Something in say the 4 section kind. You could also use it as a walking stick while hiking.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...otto_680B_680B_4_Section_Compact_Monopod.html

Only 20" long folded.

3. kundalini

kundalini Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I was going to suggest a monopod as well. I've not heard anything good about Gorillapods with any weighted gear on them.

4. ToddB

ToddB TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Yep, I've thought about a monopod, and have it on my list of wants.

I read a couple of negative reviews on TPF about the gorillapods but was hoping that maybe they improved them. I guess that isn't the case.

What I was thinking about with the gorillapod was for night exposures. I'm planning on trying to get a shot like the Photo of the Month winner. That is one of my favorite vantage point of San Fransisco. I was also going to try to get some night landscapes of Yosemite during some night hikes that we have planned.

So, if not the gorillapod, is there a compact tripod that anyone would suggest?

5. ToddB

ToddB TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    On a related note, does anyone know if there is a combo tripod/monopod? Where the center post is removable to act as a monopod. It would have to be stable. Not like the Bogen Monos with support legs. Those look about as stable as a drunken college student trying to walk home.

I would really be interested in something like that.

6. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    That kills my next option. :lol:

7. ToddB

ToddB TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I adjusted the title to try to solicit more options for me to consider.

Kundalini - Do you know if those monos are stable at all? I've seen the Trek-Tech mono/tri/walking stick in Peace Camera but it didn't look all that stable. If you have any experience with that one or one like it, I would love to hear it.

Thanks

ToddB

8. JimmyO

JimmyO TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    i would think that the gorrila pod would not be staple enough to use for long exposures.

9. xvvvz

xvvvz TPF Noob!

I was given a gorillapod for Christmas. The smallest one is pretty useless. The mid-sized one still bobbles a lot so you have to shoot using a remote or timer. The Zoom is getting pretty big but I bet it still bobbles when touched. A gorillapod can help you get interesting perspectives but it is not substitute for a tripod! A tripod is going to be much more useful than a gorillapod which is limited to special situations.

My $.02,
    Doug

10. kundalini

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Sorry, I have no personal experience with one, but for a hundred bucks, it seemed like a viable option. It will not replace a tripod, but my understanding, it gives a sturdier base than just the mono.

An aside note. The prick behind the counter at Peace Camera lost the sale for a D300. I just went down the street to Cameron Village and got one there instead.

11. notelliot

notelliot TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    he's right. they should be called "gorillapod flash". they make great flash stands/clamps but are useless as tripods. if you set a camera on it, and set it on a flat surface, you can flick the camera and watch it bob like a spring hahahah.

12. ToddB

ToddB TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    OK, so the Gorillapod is off the list.

Any suggestions on a compact, lightweight, sturdy, relatively inexpensive tripod? It needs to be able to travel well as a carryon and doesn't need to be all that tall. I'm 6' tall but my back still works and I can bend over to frame the shot if need be. Plus, my wife is 5' 2", so she can get it done if I can't.

So let's hear it. What do you recommend?