Gorillapod vs Mini-Tripod vs...?

OMG those gitzos are expensive. lol

Regardless, all very good feedback. I found out that my wife went ahead and got me the gorillapod (trying to be nice... can't blame the woman) :) so I'll either wind up selling it or keeping it for ... well, just what the hell? :)

I'll get one of the others instead. Thanks for suggestions and comments.

I have the 055XPROB / 322RC2
The 055XPRO is the replacement for the older 3021
The head is very ersatile and really grips well here it is with my 40D and Canon 100-400L on it
tripod012.jpg

The tripod is versatile too!
tripod016.jpg

The head
tripod019.jpg

I have the 055XPROB / 322RC2
The 055XPRO is the replacement for the older 3021
The head is very ersatile and really grips well here it is with my 40D and Canon 100-400L on it
tripod012.jpg

The tripod is versatile too!
tripod016.jpg

The head
tripod019.jpg

I am just waiting to get paid for my latest job and I am buying this setup. :)

well my 055XPROB arrived at last :)
one thing that I have been wondering, the 322RC2 head has the ability (thanks to uplander for the shots) to hold the camera at the vertical when the tripod is set to a low height and the center is lifted out and put to the side. Are there any other heads that allow this to be done? (otherwise I will be going for the 322RC2!)

The one concern I would mention about the 322RC2 set up the way that uplander has it is the reduction in maximum weight support (5.5lbs like the 222 head) and the inherent instability with the plate on the end of the handle. Especially with a longer piece of glass as pictured.

I have the same head and love it, but use it with the plate attached so the handle sits to the right. Much more stable that way and is rated to 11 pounds.

True you will lose the stability and holding about, but I was thinking for lower down shots (of say plants) that an upright camera would be easier for me to use than one on its side.

True you will lose the stability and holding about, but I was thinking for lower down shots (of say plants) that an upright camera would be easier for me to use than one on its side.

If you haven't already, go play with one at a photography shop. You will be amazed at the positions you can put that head in. I use mine mostly for portrait/studio work now. I have a 488RC2 and a new Vagabond S300 that I really like for general shooting.

I was looking at getting a 488RC2 as well - so for me its a toss up at the moment between the two heads - I think I might go for the 322RC2 now simply, as you say, as it has a lot of different working positions (that and I have yet to get any silly heavy glass!)

I have the 488RC4 and think it's really good head (my first ball head). However, I am having surgery on one of my shoulders next week and a couple of months later the other.

My question, gryphonslair99, is the 322RC2 a true one handed operation? I will not be able to hand hold my camera for quite a while after each surgery and thought the 322 may be a good option to still photograph as long as I can get someone to move the gear around for me. What do you think?

BTW, the 055XPROB legs are great. You know, I never tried to get it to drop to 10cm before reading this thread. :lol: Sum'***** does it though. :lmao:

I have the 488RC4 and think it's really good head (my first ball head). However, I am having surgery on one of my shoulders next week and a couple of months later the other.

My question, gryphonslair99, is the 322RC2 a true one handed operation? I will not be able to hand hold my camera for quite a while after each surgery and thought the 322 may be a good option to still photograph as long as I can get someone to move the gear around for me. What do you think?

BTW, the 055XPROB legs are great. You know, I never tried to get it to drop to 10cm before reading this thread. :lol: Sum'***** does it though. :lmao:

The best way to tell is to try one out if possible. I would think that you should be able to operate it one handed. There is a tension knob in the handle that adjusts the head/grip/twist tension. There is a separate inset hex screw to adjust the ball grip tension. It is this hex screw that people need to know about. The grip on the ball will loosen over time. A quick turn of that hex screw will tighten it right back up good as new.

For a price there is even a wired shutter release made to be attached to the 322RC2 head at the top of the pistol grip. Runs about $50.00 with out the necessary cable.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...o_322RS_322RS_Electronic_Shutter_Release.html

The nice thing about this head is you can swap the side that the QR is on and have the handle to the left or the right with the pistol grip trigger to the front. Just two screws to remove to take the plate off.

The best way to tell is to try one out if possible.

The nice thing about this head is you can swap the side that the QR is on and have the handle to the left or the right with the pistol grip trigger to the front. Just two screws to remove to take the plate off.
Unfortunately, I doubt that I will have time to test one myself.

The ability to switch from left to right hand is what piqued my interest.

May do some more searching, but likely to just order one.

Sorry, after looking at the different Gorilla Pods they look like a recipe for disaster to me.

LOL hilarious... but how can you judge something based off of looking at it on a website???

I have the SLR Gorillapod and LOVE it. It's very light weight, even though I've added a ballhead on top of it and it's never once slipped on me.

You do have to have somewhat of a brain when using it though. As in, you set it up and don't just let go of your equipment and run off. When I've used it in sketchy situations (like on a pole that has a 10+ foot drop) I take my time setting it up, ensure the grip is strong enough to not budge and then take my hand off of the camera but NOT out of the wrist strap. That way IF it does fall... the wrist strap catches it.

Like I said though, I've never had it fall or even slip. I categorize Gorillapods under... If you're stupid, you'll probably break your camera... if you have 1/2 a brain you probably won't.

LOL hilarious... but how can you judge something based off of looking at it on a website???

I have the SLR Gorillapod and LOVE it. It's very light weight, even though I've added a ballhead on top of it and it's never once slipped on me.

You do have to have somewhat of a brain when using it though. As in, you set it up and don't just let go of your equipment and run off. When I've used it in sketchy situations (like on a pole that has a 10+ foot drop) I take my time setting it up, ensure the grip is strong enough to not budge and then take my hand off of the camera but NOT out of the wrist strap. That way IF it does fall... the wrist strap catches it.

Like I said though, I've never had it fall or even slip. I categorize Gorillapods under... If you're stupid, you'll probably break your camera... if you have 1/2 a brain you probably won't.

Easy, I didn't look at it on a web site. Nor did I say I looked at them at a web site. I went to a real brick and mortar Photography shop that has GorillaPods in their inventory. They even had one wrapped around a post. Played with them, tried them out and even put soeme weight on the SLR model. Needless to say, my trial of them the item did not impress me. If you want to put a P&S on one, they are cheap, light weight and compact.

Me, I'm not putting $3000.00 worth of body and lens on a snap bead tripod that I actually tested. Call me a non believer. But my opinion of them is they are not good support for a serious camera.

For half the price I bought a manfrotto super clamp. Supports 33lbs. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5160-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_2909_2909_Super_Clamp_with.html Actually I have several since I shoot sports and they are outstanding at attaching strobes to solid support like girders, steel pipe rails, etc. I have used a super clamp and hung a a 30D with a 24mm wide angle lens off of a support post 10 feet above the rim of a basket ball goal with a pocket wizard attached at a collage game or two. Slam dunks look totally different from above.
Used this set up to be exact.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/375297-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_2910_Super_Clamp_with_3025.html
I was completely confident with the setup and it has never remotely come close to letting me down. If I need more weight capacity there are other posts or heads that can be just as easliy use. Super clamps work really well and I trust this a lot more than plastic pop beads that bend.

I trust the super clamp on longer then 10 foot poles, the front or back bumper of a 50 mph vehicle and anything else it can clamp to with out my wrist in the wrist strap. It's just that sturdy.

I personally categorize GorillaPods under... If you're stupid, you'll probably break your camera... if you have 1/2 a brain you probably won't and if you have a full working brain you don't buy it at all. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back