Got a camera, now what?

Sounds pretty stinking cool! Thank all of you for giving me some direction, I have been feeling overwhelmed not knowing which way to go........ :)

Also, shooting in RAW allows you to change the white balance after you upload the picture to your computer...right? Is this all it allows you to do or what are the other benefits of shooting in RAW? Do you ?

To learn terms and some aspects of photography i have used wikipedia to look up terms and facts about a lot of things.

Only RAW images can have their original exposure changed. It does slightly alter their quality but with a good program like the one supplied with your camera and adobe makes this aspect is slightened burdon.

JPEG is a compressed format that is smaller and takes less space and also allows more entry level cameras such as yours to take more photos in succession. The larger RAW files take longer to buffer so when your camera is shooting in its "burst/continous" modes it cant handle as many RAW images as JPEG. So "some" photographers prefer JPEG for sports. I personally wouldnt like to sacrifice the quality of RAW nor its ability to be manipulated with less degradation of image quality.

Think of jpeg as a piece of paper that you continually fold until it cant be folded any more. Then unfold the paper .... all those lines and folds are similar to the detail loss when shooting in jpeg. RAW images capture all information and give you the best possible results ..... i refer to RAW as a digital negative.

Keep in mind when shooting in RAW that the image has to be processed every time in order to view/upload/print images on most websites or printers. Its not a normal file, like i said ... a digital negative.

Hope this helps :)

Hey, I'm new myself, and just started using GIMP. I'll be honest, that program can be frustrating as well. Its not simple, like the editing programs that come with your computer. Its complex, but I think once you figure it out its not bad (at least that's what I've heard)

Also, here's something I just learned - if you go to Flickr and see an image that really stands out to you, click on it and check out its "properties" (This is found on the right hand side of the image, if you scroll down a bit. Some have this and some don't)

This will tell you the settings the photographer used to capture the image AND which program they used to edit it. I found out that most of the photographers that inspire me use Adobe Photoshop CS4. So that might be something to look into...

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a question to your post - With shooting in RAW, does it make much difference to shoot just RAW, or RAW+JPEG? I noticed that when I shoot with the second option, the image is displayed on the LCD. Is that all that's different between the 2 options?

Also, shooting in RAW allows you to change the white balance after you upload the picture to your computer...right? Is this all it allows you to do or what are the other benefits of shooting in RAW? Do you ?

it allows you to decide any setting other than the shutterspeed and aperture you selected for the shot.

oh...flash compensation if used, couldn't be retrospectively altered of course. maybe there's other obscure things that i can't bring to mind as i reply here, but generally most user settings can be tried out afterwards in DPP.

"A camera raw image file contains minimally processed data from the image sensor.." Raw image format - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hey, I'm new myself, and just started using GIMP. I'll be honest, that program can be frustrating as well. Its not simple, like the editing programs that come with your computer. Its complex, but I think once you figure it out its not bad (at least that's what I've heard)

i agree. but eventually using it becomes familiar and routine. also, GIMP's registry website is something every user can benefit from.

If you don't mind, I'd like to add a question to your post - With shooting in RAW, does it make much difference to shoot just RAW, or RAW+JPEG? I noticed that when I shoot with the second option, the image is displayed on the LCD. Is that all that's different between the 2 options?

The Pro of shooting both, is that you have both the large, uncompressed file which has the highest quality possible, and the smaller file that theoretically doesn't need further processing. This way, if you like the shot as processed in the camera, you already have the compressed file to do whatever with. If you don't like it, you have the RAW which is better/easier to make changes on.

The only two cons that I know of is that 1: it takes more space because you're taking two pics instead of one. And 2: It reduces the amount of successive shots and/or speed at which you can take them because the camera's processor/memory are required to do more work per exposure.

Another vote for the Gimp. There are great video podcast tutorials at Meet The Gimp. Go out and take some photos. Have fun. Go home and download the Gimp. Watch the podcasts in one window while you play along with your won stuff in another. Much will be explained in a short amount of time.

Lightroom is easy to use and there are tons of online video tutorials that explain how to use it. You could download Lightroom 3 Beta for free until they release it. Try it out and see if you like it.

Hi there! I recently purchased a Canon Rebel XSI with a 18-55mm f3.5 - 5.6 lense and today my 50 mm f-1.8 lense should be arriving in the mail! I have read my manual, figured out what what aperture and iso is (kinda--sorta) and have had a blast shooting with my first DSLR! I am now interested in purchasing a photo editing software and have been reading about them. Apparently they are difficult to use and it takes lots of practice and patience and tutorials to figure any of these programs out...?? Do you know anything about the different programs that are available out there (Photoshop is hella-expensive!)? Got any advice out there for... well..... anything??
Photoshop Elements 8 has many of the tools found in Photoshop CS4 but it costs a lot less (less than $100). It's often referred to as "The Baby Photoshop".

There are a lot of free photo editors out there. GIMP is similar in power to Photoshop but it's also just as hard (if not harder) to learn. Don't expect to install it and start editing photos right away. The interface isn't easy to use for a first time photo editor.
I downloaded paint.net and lost patience REAL quick! Are all programs like that, is Gimp??
Top 11 Free Photo Editors for Windows - Take a look at Photoscape. It's free and fairly easy to use and has a lot of neat features.
You know I forgot about the disc that came with the camera! I will definetly check that out, thank you! Do you know if it teaches about layers, etc.?
No, Digital Photo Professional does not have layers. It's good for basic adjustments but you can't do layers or the more sophisticated editing techniques you can with Photoshop.
Do you know if lightroom is easy to use?
Lightroom was designed for digital photographers so it is easier to use than Photoshop (which isn't only for photographers but for anyone working with images and design). Lightroom is easier to learn than Photoshop but you still have to know how to use the image adjustment tools properly. There are a few good books out but most won't teach you everything you want to know about Lightroom...most of that you pick up yourself after you've been using for awhile.
Also, shooting in RAW allows you to change the white balance after you upload the picture to your computer...right? Is this all it allows you to do or what are the other benefits of shooting in RAW?
Time to learn more about RAW - Just What is a RAW File Anyway?

Why RAW - Part 1

Why RAW - Part 2

Why RAW - Part 3
Yes, I shoot in RAW. I haven't shot in JPEG in some time now.

Since it's your first DSLR and it sounds like you want to learn more about photography, here are a few more links you can check out...

Digital Photography Tips For Beginners

Digital Photography Composition Tips

PhotoTips

Digital Photography Tutorials

Photography Techniques

Stop Shooting Auto! You're Smarter Than Your Camera

I myself am using lightroom from adobe. if you want to try Adobe's Lightroom. The Beta 3 version is out and free. it will expire on April 30. It is a very good software. if you are interested in learning about it go to this link Learning Center – Lightroom 3 Beta | Learn Adobe Photoshop CS4, Lightroom and Digital Photography | NAPP it will give you a overview on what is has to offer.

You can download the Beta here. Adobe Labs - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3

Another good learning center is here http://www.lightroomkillertips.com/

I shoot ONLY in RAW and use Lightroom 2 to do most of my editing, followed by some frames in GIMP. If your a student of any kind you can get all of these programs at a very discounted price.... just another thought.

In RAW you can edit a lot more than a Jpeg. Say your out shooting and think you have the white balance set perfect, but when you get it back and on a computer you see that your WB is off, now with a Jpeg you could be able to fix it depending on how off it is, with a RAW you will defiantly be able to fix it. Same for exposure, if you think you nailed that and then get it on your computer, a RAW file is much more forgiving than a Jpeg.

All of this is just from my personal experiences tho. Lightroom is a very simple to work with once you get the hang of it. Its easy to copy settings (like exposure, white balance, etc.) and paste those settings to another picture.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you need to know anything else.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back