Got a Canon 20d today! Need a good lens now

righteous_bucks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I finally bought my first digital slr camera, a Canon 20d! :) I'm pretty excited about it, but now I'm looking into a decent lens for it. I came across the Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS lens, all the reviews for it seemed like they liked the lens, but I'm not sure about it, mainly because I've never worked with slr cameras before! So has anyone on here ever used this lens or heard anything good about it? Right now this will be the only lens I use, just for everyday use, so will this work for that and be good?

I will say it is one of the decent kit lens. But it is still a kit lens. :)

If you buy it used or good price. I will say it is a good lens for beginner to start learning. If budget allowed, Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 is a good choice.

I'm with Dao on Tamron, in ain't the best but it'll definitely work very long for you and will teach you a LOT about photography.

I love my Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 which lives >75% of the time on my 30D (and it will also be my walkabout lens on my 7D when that arrives). The focal length range and IQ is excellent and the only flaw, in my book, is the somewhat slower focusing due to lack of ultrasonic motor.

You're going to have a blast with that 20D!

Thanks for all your opinions! :) so I looked around at the Tamron, and it's not too too high of a price, so maybe I'll try that out, but I also found the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens. Any opinions on that one? Thanks everyone!

Well I just read a review about the 28-105mm, and it wasn't sounding too good... So never mind about that one, unless someone on here says otherwise! haha

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I'd like to stay under 250 for this first lens, but like with the Tamron, I might go higher, I'd just prefer not too for now. That's why I was looking at the used Canon lenses for now though. I just read another review on the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Lens and it pretty much said the exact opposite of the first one I read... This last review seemed to think the lens was very good for it's price. So now that I have both a good and bad review on this lens, does anyone on here have personal experience with it?

Just for your reference. I bought my Tamron 17-50mm F/2.8 used for US$300 earlier this year.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back