Got a new lens, cant figure out how to control DOF.

ChrisJuliano

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I got a sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens for my Nikon D40, took lots of shots but it had a veryyyy small DOF, so asked someone and they told me to change my f-number, so tried but my D40 says lock it on highest # which is 32.

Then they told me to change it on the camera itself, but from what I could tell that didnt change anything.

What should I do?

In order for that lens to work on the D40, you have to lock the aperture to the highest F stop, in your case 32. Then, to change the stop, you do it like you would with any other lens, via the little button on top, and the thumb wheel. Also, I have a Tamron 90mm macro lens that I use with my D40, and the DOF is really really shallow.

But isnt there a setting to change it so there is a bigger DOF?

I tried using the normal button on top with wheel, dosnt change much infact I couldnt see a difference.

Set the camera to the A (Aperture Priority) Mode, this way the thumb dial will change the aperture f number. Setting large apertures (small f numbers) makes for shallow depth of field, smaller apertures (higher f numbers) makes for larger depth of field.

For example, shooting at f2.8 will give you a shallow depth of field (blurry background), but f11 will keep more in focus. I also suggest reading the camera's manual and watching the DVD that came with it! :)

Thanks, but I was on manual when changing the f-number.

I think I went from 2.8 to like 62 or 64? And dont think I saw a difference. This was done with the lens locked to 32.

How far away from the camera is the subject?

If it´s quite close you may see little difference in the DOF

Well some is 1:1 with 105mm macro.

But most was like a 1:1 range to a foot away, so like 4 to 12 inches away.

You are going to get shallow DOF with a macro, especially if you are shooting very close to your subject. With my 100mm, if I am at the minimum focus distance and at F8 or F11, the DOF is about 1/8 inch. The only thing you can do at this distance is to decrease the aperture to F22 or higher, but you will still have a very narrow DOF.

Hmm, thats kinda dumb I dont see how I can pull off pictures like some of the ones I saw on flickr and this forum.

Eh :[

Are you seeing these differences in photos you take or just looking through the camera?

Looking through the cameara I dont think it should change, does it?

And I was looking after I took the pic on the screen.

Hmm, thats kinda dumb I dont see how I can pull off pictures like some of the ones I saw on flickr and this forum.

Eh :[
It's not easy, believe me, I have been trying. There are some real pros here doing this, maybe they can chime in with some tips.

changes in F-number on your macros will increase the DOF as the aperture gets smaller (ie higher f number). but unfortunately that take ALOT of the light away which means slower shutter speeds, use a flash. now with the depth of field the things that are going to be IN FOCUS are the subjects that lay parallel to the film plane or sensor. its hard to explain. if you search DOF in one of the forums (or all of them) you should find a better explanation of this. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE soon youll see a difference.

Alright thanks for the help. My tripod should of been at my door today but I will ahve to check tracking.

Ill try all what you said, and hoepfully get some results.

Got my tripod, actually I just needed to learn how to use my tripod now it supports the weight of my camera, you have to twist something at bottom.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back