Got my 40D today, but....

Freedbaby

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I feel like a complete idiot!!! It is sooooooooo much more complex than my Rebel XT. It is so different its almost discouraging, I became so quick at making quick changes with my XT that this will take some serious getting used to.

I guess I will read the manual tonight?!?!?!

Dont get me wrong, I am excited about it, but its a whole different ball game

Anybody run into this?? Yall can slam me this time its ok

Freedbaby

I have. :)

Relax, it's not THAT different. You will feel awkward at first, but then you will discover "My Menu" and you will be again just as quick at making alterations. :)

Do read the manual, it helps a lot. :)

When I went from the XT to the 20D, the first 10 mins didn't feel right. 3 days later (because it was at least still a Canon) I had it down and loved the interface 50 times MORE! Having 2 dials with the multifunction buttons is great. Also, don't ignore the custom functions, I actually have them set up to make camera operation easier for me.

Think of it this way: You've been driving a VW Bug ... Now you have a Porsche.

And, of course, like we all do ... you'll soon be looking forward to the day you can get that Maserati.

Enjoy it!

I have a 30D and a Rebel XTi and it can be awkward switching between them, but you'll get the hang of it.

i currently have a d50 and ordered a d200 which will be here next week...

I've only handled one for a few seconds and thought it was too much for me... excited for next week though to learn and adapt

well .. having used a film EOS 100 before getting my first EOS 5D, i thought the latter pretty easy to handle. so your step
to the 40D should not be too bad.. you will love it after a couple of weeks

I think the basic idea behind all those buttons and functions is to be able to do whatever you need with a press of a single button - that is, after you get used to it! I bet that in a month or so you will wonder how on earth you could take pictures with the Rebel XT in the first place.

I think the basic idea behind all those buttons and functions is to be able to do whatever you need with a press of a single button - that is, after you get used to it! I bet that in a month or so you will wonder how on earth you could take pictures with the Rebel XT in the first place.

haha that's how I feel about the XT now, alhtough I will amdit, I feel uncomfortable when playing with teh 40D in stores myself, the screen pushes the buttons in places where you have to take your hand off of the camera to get a finger on, the 20D spaces them inward a little so that with a quick thumb movement, the action is made. I think there is such a thing as too much, and the 40D's screen is one of those things.

So getting a little more used to it now.....a little (not much)

Been walking around the house shooting just about everything just to get the feel......You can freaking adjust EVERYTHING on this baby.

I havent gotten to the 3200 ISO expansion(mainly cuz I cant find it), but walking around shooting at 1600 ISO is AMAZING, no noise.

Anyhow, I really enjoyed having the battery grip on my XT so it would fit my hand a bit better so I assumed that when I ordered the 40D it would also be best to have it-Now my jury is out. Walking around the house with my Tamron 17-50 (not that big), body, battery pack and flash starts to get really really heavy. I may take the grip off....I dont know. It sure is nice to shoot shoot shoot and not have to change batteries though. Any thoughts on this??

gonna try and get through some of the manual tonight but if someone knows quickly how to get to the ISO expansion, that would be of help

BTW-(dont know if I am alowed to say but..) I bought it very cheap from an ebay store called TIME2ENVY and they came through just as promissed....all brand new and quick delivery.

Freedbaby

I stepped up from a d40 to a d80 (not quite as big of a jump, but similar) and I didn't take that long to adjust. I already started changing all these different settings via the menus on the d40, and getting the d80 was like "Oh, I can just press this button instead".

Oh, and I just dug around and found my battery door and took off my battery grip. I think I actually like it without for now. It doesn't hang quite as weird when it's over the shoulder and it's actually kinda compact with just the 50mm on it.

The 40D is a horrible camera, you will hate it forever... why not just switch back to your original one and get rid of that awful 40D by mailing it to me... I will PM you my address...

AS IF.

Read the book, 40D's rock, you will love it within a day.

The 40D is a horrible camera, you will hate it forever...

For a second, I thought we suddenly started talking about the D40... lol.. j/k

Congrats on your purchase... IMO, leave the grip on and see if you slowly adjust to the weight. I personally don't like the way the camera feels without it.

I held one the other night at best buy compared to the Xti, much better. The xti felt too hard and too much plastic for my taste. But I enjoy my D50 :)

Hate to keep this going, but just one last update.

Played with it a ton this morning and I think I am in love now. I was walking around the house this morning, no lights on....trying to keep the dogs quiet enough so they dont wake up my 14 month old

Running her at 3200 ISO and almost wide open F stop in AV with it set to overexpose by 2/3 stop..........DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are awesome, nice fast shutter speed to you can actually take the shot handheld and not worry about blur.

Freedbaby

Most reactions

Back