got my 70-200 f4 is

Discussion in 'Photography Beginners' Forum' started by kenwood72, Jul 11, 2008.

1. kenwood72

kenwood72 TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    and wow it seems big......and way more advanced than i feel but the good thing is I will work myself into it.

couple questions though:

it is bigger and heavier than I thought so I will not be leaving it on all the time is it bad to remove lenses a lot?

well I guess that is the only question, but my first impression is that it is a bit big for the camera (xsi) and I am definitely glad I did not get the 2.8 at this point.

2. prodigy2k7

prodigy2k7 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Heh, now im scared, cuz I want the F/2.8

Only downside of changing lenses is dust/dirt/moisture etc getting on the mirror and/or sensor

3. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Get a grip. You will be amazed how much more balanced ever you XSi will feel. They are worth the money and should more than double your battery life. Especially since the IS draws from the battery.

Congrats on the lens. I am sure you will love it. As far as taking it on and off, won't hurt a thing.

4. kenwood72

kenwood72 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I do need to in more ways than one....but that is a great idea. are the grips interchangeable or do they work for only one body?

5. tim.bennett

tim.bennett TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    generally grips for canon work on bodies of the same series. 350d 400d I have the 70-200 f4 L without IS and will upgrade to the f2.8 with IS at some point. It feels big to begin with and it's a great lens. It's fairly light and easy to travel with. i need the f2.8 because i need to put a 2x converter on it. Was caught short last sunday shooting a ladies odi cricket match.

Great choise in lens! grip would be a great addition. bought mine on monday. second camera i got it for.

6. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit

You just need to be careful to keep dust out or sensor dust will drive you crazy. Turn your camera face down when changing lenses and work quickly.

7. kenwood72

kenwood72 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    does the auto sensor cleaner do anything and how hard isi it to clean a sensor?

8. RyanLilly

RyanLilly No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I don't know about the auto cleaning, but manually cleaning with a cheap bulb blower is pretty easy.

9. gryphonslair99

gryphonslair99 Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit

When changing lenses work quickly but carefully. Every lens change I give the inside of the camera body a quick puff from my Rocket Blower.

Before putting the new lens on and before starting the process I loosen the rear cap and give the rear element a puff from my Rocket Blower and drop the cap back on but don't tighten it. When I change the lens I pull the old lens off, Quick puff from the rocket blower, turn the body face down while picking up the new lens and lock it into place. I then give the back element of the lens that was just removed a quick puff with the rocket blower before securing the rear lens cap tightly and putting the lens away.

Two years of constant shooting and neither of my bodies had developed a dust problem yet. The sensor cleaner can work on lightly adhered dust by shaking it off. If that doesn't work then you can get one of the good kits to clean the sensor yourself or have a camera store do it for a small price.

10. kenwood72

kenwood72 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

so blowing a little air on to the sensor wont hurt anything? is that how people clean them when I pay someone?

11. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    They start off with blowing, which can sometimes disturb dust hiding in the camera that will then fall onto the sensor - which means a lot of blowing (whilst holding the camera upside down so the dust falls out).
    However they will also swab clean the sensor - that is brush a swab over the sensor to remove more stuck on dust.

As for dust removal - its not going to stop dust getting on the sensor, it is going to remove a reasonable portion of dust that does arrive there, but its not perfect. The best thing is - as others have said - to change lenses quickly and holding the camera upside down - done carefully so as not to drop things!

12. icassell

icassell TPF Noob!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A note of caution -- DO NOT used canned compressed air!