got my 70-200 f4 is

kenwood72

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
and wow it seems big......and way more advanced than i feel but the good thing is I will work myself into it.

couple questions though:

it is bigger and heavier than I thought so I will not be leaving it on all the time is it bad to remove lenses a lot?

well I guess that is the only question, but my first impression is that it is a bit big for the camera (xsi) and I am definitely glad I did not get the 2.8 at this point.

Heh, now im scared, cuz I want the F/2.8

Only downside of changing lenses is dust/dirt/moisture etc getting on the mirror and/or sensor

and wow it seems big......and way more advanced than i feel but the good thing is I will work myself into it.

couple questions though:

it is bigger and heavier than I thought so I will not be leaving it on all the time is it bad to remove lenses a lot?

well I guess that is the only question, but my first impression is that it is a bit big for the camera (xsi) and I am definitely glad I did not get the 2.8 at this point.

Get a grip. You will be amazed how much more balanced ever you XSi will feel. They are worth the money and should more than double your battery life. Especially since the IS draws from the battery.

Congrats on the lens. I am sure you will love it. As far as taking it on and off, won't hurt a thing.

generally grips for canon work on bodies of the same series. 350d 400d I have the 70-200 f4 L without IS and will upgrade to the f2.8 with IS at some point. It feels big to begin with and it's a great lens. It's fairly light and easy to travel with. i need the f2.8 because i need to put a 2x converter on it. Was caught short last sunday shooting a ladies odi cricket match.

Great choise in lens! grip would be a great addition. bought mine on monday. second camera i got it for.

You just need to be careful to keep dust out or sensor dust will drive you crazy. Turn your camera face down when changing lenses and work quickly.

You just need to be careful to keep dust out or sensor dust will drive you crazy. Turn your camera face down when changing lenses and work quickly.

does the auto sensor cleaner do anything and how hard isi it to clean a sensor?

does the auto sensor cleaner do anything and how hard isi it to clean a sensor?

When changing lenses work quickly but carefully. Every lens change I give the inside of the camera body a quick puff from my Rocket Blower.

Before putting the new lens on and before starting the process I loosen the rear cap and give the rear element a puff from my Rocket Blower and drop the cap back on but don't tighten it. When I change the lens I pull the old lens off, Quick puff from the rocket blower, turn the body face down while picking up the new lens and lock it into place. I then give the back element of the lens that was just removed a quick puff with the rocket blower before securing the rear lens cap tightly and putting the lens away.

Two years of constant shooting and neither of my bodies had developed a dust problem yet. The sensor cleaner can work on lightly adhered dust by shaking it off. If that doesn't work then you can get one of the good kits to clean the sensor yourself or have a camera store do it for a small price.

When changing lenses work quickly but carefully. Every lens change I give the inside of the camera body a quick puff from my Rocket Blower.

so blowing a little air on to the sensor wont hurt anything? is that how people clean them when I pay someone?

They start off with blowing, which can sometimes disturb dust hiding in the camera that will then fall onto the sensor - which means a lot of blowing (whilst holding the camera upside down so the dust falls out).
However they will also swab clean the sensor - that is brush a swab over the sensor to remove more stuck on dust.

As for dust removal - its not going to stop dust getting on the sensor, it is going to remove a reasonable portion of dust that does arrive there, but its not perfect. The best thing is - as others have said - to change lenses quickly and holding the camera upside down - done carefully so as not to drop things!

so blowing a little air on to the sensor wont hurt anything? is that how people clean them when I pay someone?

A note of caution -- DO NOT used canned compressed air!

nor your own breath - something like a Rocket Blower (in shops and on amazon) is best. The canned compressed air can leak a fluid sometimes when used - if this gets on your sensor its bad news - best to be safe and use a blower.
There are some who do use compressed air and have had no bad experiences - and there are those that have had bad end results. In the end its your choice, but most people err on the side of caughtion and go for a rocket blower - the big advantage is it never needs refilling at cost :)

nor your own breath - something like a Rocket Blower (in shops and on amazon) is best. The canned compressed air can leak a fluid sometimes when used - if this gets on your sensor its bad news - best to be safe and use a blower.
There are some who do use compressed air and have had no bad experiences - and there are those that have had bad end results. In the end its your choice, but most people err on the side of caughtion and go for a rocket blower - the big advantage is it never needs refilling at cost :)

I learned the hard way that it is important to do a few puffs with your rocket OUTSIDE the camera before you start cleaning .... I blew a bunch of dust that must have been sitting inside the blower into the camera and needed a $45 cleaning from my shop. Now I routinely blow it out a few times first.

I would be interested in knowing how this lens performs in lower light situations.....ie does the IS allow a slow enough shutter speed to shoot indoors, not so well lit situation.

I have been debating this or the F2.8 version for some time.....lots of dollars between the two.

Congrats on the new lens...cant imagine you wont be happy with an L series anything.

Freedbaby

Most reactions

Back