Got my camera, first shots...thoughts?

Interesting array of commentary, twas entertaining to say the least.

I was trying to leave most of the soldiers a bit out of focus, because there's only about 12 models and I wanted to capture a 'sea of soldiers' type of thing as best I could. Like #3, I left the soldiers out of focus so the dreadnought would seem significantly larger than the regular soldiers, which is also why I put the flags up. And in #2, I wanted to make them look like they were marching, and the models don't stand appropriately for that, so I got some strange angle on them (kind of overhead, a little right and camera tilted) and then cropped and straightened it on my computer.

I appreciate the comments on topic, they were helpful.

As for the hilarious camera brand debate, I don't care for it. Not even the debate, I feel you'd have to be quite...doltish to contend in such arguments.

Look on the bright side, we have a new Sony fanboy posting to give some of the Nikon and Canon fanboys fits. Such wildly off topic post as those above make for entertaining, albeit way off-topic, posts. Let's welcome our new thin skinned rebel rousing Sony fan.

Pardon me sir, if memory serves me correctly, you were involved in a fanboy episode of your own.
And Derrel took you to school.

I'm not really a fanboy by the way. I like them all.
I'd have one of each if it were practical.

I like this forum too.
It's full of people like me. A bunch of know it all's. Except some of them really DO know it all while I really DON'T know it all.
I can come here and get answers and find out what I'm doing wrong from people like yourself and Derrel.
That is if you two don't go to war again and Derrel spanks you all over the forum like the last time.
lol

Thank you for the warm welcome.

Oh well, looks like it's time for a mirror break.

I X L R 8 - I am so good looking.

This thread is very confusing.

Let me touch on the Sony/focus subject. I use Sony equipment, and feel I can speak pretty un-biased on it. I have found some pretty frustrating problems with sony's auto focus (basically it just never being quite on). This is common with many camera brands, however, and I don't feel that Sony should be discounted as a legitimate option for photographers.

ALL of the photos on my website are taken with a Sony camera (a relatively low-end one, too - the a350) and I'd like to think that the focus is pretty good on at least a few of them :p

WTF happened here.

To the OP, playing around with a shallow depth of field and selective focusing is fun. It doesnt always work, but it's fun to try.

I would make the f/number higher.

The photos do nothing for me. They are noisy, low light, low contrast, and some are out of focus. BUT, some of them are focused in a way that is neat, and with some work you could get some good photos of these mini statues.

As for the debate....

I go for Canon, and Nikon. I don't know why, but those are the two big names in the industry, and they are brands I can trust.

Owner of a Canon 300d, Nikon N2000, and a Canon Powershot SX 120 IS.

BUT, you can take decent pictures with almost any brand.

Just look at this picture taken with a Cobra no zoom point and shoot:
PICT0232Medium.jpg

(Not prime example but it works)

ah, the "church in the rocks" temple. Sedona, Arizona... very neat place... have many shots of this myself...lol]
( Sorry just had to comment.)

Look on the bright side, we have a new Sony fanboy posting to give some of the Nikon and Canon fanboys fits. Such wildly off topic post as those above make for entertaining, albeit way off-topic, posts. Let's welcome our new thin skinned rebel rousing Sony fan.

Nice new avatar! What happened to the NIKON he was peeing on for all these months?

I could build a camera out of legos that feels better in my hands than a Sony. :lol:

Most reactions

Back