got my first photo published...

tekzero

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.micahweber.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ok so the news stopped by a photoshoot i was doing outside for a car club here in buffalo...she takes my name and # and has me email her the pics...
so my pic that i took is in the paper, but she didnt give me credit for the picture! it just says "contributed photo" ...i was so excited, but then bummed out cuz no one will ever know its mine...

http://www.tonawanda-news.com/display_page1.asp

the picture (girl jumping in the air) in in the bottom right hand corner of that link

i sent an email to the girl who did the article, the same girl i talked to about, but have heard nothing yet...any advice? i mean granted i gave her permission to use my pics, but damn, at least put my name there when credit is due ya know

Yeah, that's a bummer, I agree. Just keep shooting.
I just got my first pic published, too!
popejournal1.jpg

popejournal2.jpg

Congrats, both of you.

I'd say that she's got to give you credit, if that was the understanding when you handed them over. Perhaps they'll put a small mention somewhere next issue? They've got your details and have profited from your photograph. If she continues to blank you I'd send her another e-mail making it clear that what she's done is wrong (and against the law?). Contact the editor at the same time. I don't think they'd be happy to know someone like that was working for them. It could cause problems for them at if she carries on. Of course, it could just be an accident.

Again, Congratulations! I am in the newspaper biz and I have to say the "contributed photo" credit is BS. I know that we go to great lengths to get the correct photo credit. Ten bucks says that at 3 minutes to deadline the writer was not around and the AD and editor did not know what to do.

The reality is that the damage has been done. Make sure you speak with the editor as opposed to email. He will definetly put you in the "corrections box". In the future make sure that your and the writers intentions are clear. Tell them you need to be paid and or a photo credit before you send the art. As a general rule; writers can and will fully mess things up. Be sure to send your work to the photo editor.

i just spoke with the associate editor of the news and said "im sorry, it must have been an oversight, nothin i can do now"

That stinks! The paper biz is tough like that. I am sure that they did not mean to mess up the your credit; they just did. Know that there are only a million details to cover in a 12 hour day.

Personally; looks like you have a fun photo. PM me or post a link to a larger version of this frame.

congrats you two! thats great you have your pictures published!!!

That newspaper is owned by Community Newspaper Holdings Inc. Their contact info is 3500 Colonnade Pkwy, Ste. 600; Birmingham, AL 35243 phone (205) 298-7100 | fax (205) 298-7108 | E-mail us (website www.cnhi.com) Although I have heard that paper conglomerate is not exactly friendly to their employees so I don't know how they will respond. Its just the only other place to go on this.

It probably won't do any good on this photo but you might be able to get someone to listen if you tell them you don't appreciate the way one of their paper's does business.

Also, email the reporter and editor. Restate what happened this time and ask what their standard rate paid for contributed photos and byline policy is for future reference. That will give you documentation if they ever try to mess you up again. And if it contradicts what happened this time it just might give you legal footing.

Good luck,
Liz

Most reactions

New Topics

Back